Can anyone explain the derivation of the formula for cantilever oscillations?

In summary, the conversation was about a report on cantilever oscillations, where the experiment involved fixing different cantilevers to a table and measuring the period and height of oscillations while varying the mass and length of the cantilever. The formulae for calculating the period and height were provided, along with questions about how they were derived. The final response explained the derivation of the formulae and how they relate to simple harmonic motion.
ash1098
[SOLVED] Cantilever Investigation

1.Hi,

I am writing a report on cantilever oscillations, my experiment involves fixing different cantilvers e.g. a ruler to the end of a table then measuring the period and height of oscillations while varing the mass attached to the cantilever, and other varients e.g. length of cantilever.

2. I have found these two formulae: (Shown much more clearly in attachments)

T= 2(pi)*[(4ML^3)/(bd^3E)]^1/2

and:

h= 4MgL^3/Ebd^3

where:
b= width of cantilever
d= thickness of cantilever
E= Youngs Modulus
M=Mass
L=Lenght of cantilever
T=period of oscillations
h=height of oscillation

3. I have looked at eqn's involving Hooke's and simple harmonic motion but cannot work out how these formulae have been derived.

Does anyone know how these formulae where derived, or where I can find information on this in general?

Thanks.

ash.

p.s. I have written out the formulae using math open office and attached them in pdf if it helps make them easier to read.

Attachments

• h.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 428
  • T.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I have done a lab to find the Young's Modulus of a loaded cantilever and this is theory which is written down on the paper:

The depression,s,due to a load W(=Mg) at the end of a cantilever of length,l, is

[tex]s=\frac{Wl^3}{3IE}[/tex]

This strain brings into play internal stresses which produce a restoring force equal to W, i.e. equal to [itex]\frac{3IEs}{l^3}[/itex].

If the acceleration of the load [itex]\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}[/itex] when the cantilever is displaced to produce vertical oscillations,then

[tex]M\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=\frac{-3IE}{l^3}s[/tex]

OR
[tex]\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}+\frac{3IE}{Ml^3}s=0[/tex]

Hence the motion is Simple harmonic and the periodic time,T, is

[tex]T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{Ml^3}{3IE}}[/tex]

from which

[tex] E=\frac{4\pi^2Ml^3}{3IT^2}[/tex]

For a beam of rectangular section:
[tex]I=\frac{bd^3}{12}[/tex]
I hope that helps in some way

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply rock.freak it's really really useful, just one question:

why does [tex]T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{Ml^3}{3IE}}[/tex]

Thanks, ash.

Well from
[tex]M\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=\frac{-3IE}{l^3}s[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}=\frac{-3IE}{Ml^3}s[/tex]

and that is of the form [itex]a=-\omega^2 s[/itex] where [itex]a=\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}[/itex]

so from that

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{3IE}{Ml^3}}[/tex]

and since it moves with SHM, the period,T, is given by

[tex]T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}[/tex]

Oh yeah I see it now, Thanks alot.

Ash.

1. What is a cantilever?

A cantilever is a beam or structure that is supported at only one end, and is free to move or rotate at the other end. It is commonly used in engineering and construction to create overhangs or to support structures such as bridges and balconies.

2. How does a cantilever work?

A cantilever works by distributing the load or weight placed on one end of the beam or structure along its length, allowing it to support itself without the need for additional supports or columns. This is possible due to the principle of equilibrium and the strength of the materials used in the construction.

3. What factors affect the stability of a cantilever?

The stability of a cantilever can be affected by several factors, including the length and thickness of the beam, the weight and distribution of the load, and the materials used. Other factors such as wind and seismic activity can also impact the stability of a cantilever structure.

4. How is a cantilever investigated in a scientific manner?

A cantilever can be investigated scientifically by conducting experiments and collecting data on its behavior under different loads, lengths, and materials. This data can then be analyzed using mathematical equations and models to understand the structural properties and limitations of a cantilever.

5. What are some real-world applications of cantilever structures?

Cantilever structures have a wide range of real-world applications, including bridges, balconies, roofs, and shelves. They are also commonly used in the fields of aerospace, architecture, and civil engineering for their ability to create large, open spaces without the need for additional support columns.