Cantilever Experiment: Is the Relationship Linear?

• Thread starter alexbib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary, the experiment was to bend a ruler by attaching a mass at its end. They got a perfect linear relationship, and I think its is impossible.
alexbib
hi guys, got a lil question:

I had an experiment to do with two partners and one of 'em lost the data. So they had to redo it, but from the data they supposedly collected, I get the impression the faked the results, badly. The experiment was to bend a ruler by attaching a mass at its end. Then, we had to vary the non-fixed length of the ruler and measure vertical displacement at the end. To put it more clearly, we needed data of h0-hf at the end of the rod vs the length of the rod that was free to bend. They got a perfect linear relationship, and I think its is impossible. Is it? I know I already asked the question and the equation can be solved by an integral, but I am still in the process of teaching myself integral calculus... So I got a rocket launcher pointed at my lab partners, should I pull the trigger (ie: is the relationship not supposed to be linear, as I thought?)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tip displacement for a point force on a simple beam varies with the longitudinal distance variable in a cubic manner. For very small z, this can be approximately linear (a [tex]z^n \rightarrow 0[/tex] argument for n > 1 and z < 1).

Still, I think your friends are lying. You are talking very small z here for something like that.

The displacement might be linear. That would be consistent with a spring. The constant is inversely proportional to the lengh of spring -- cutting a spring in half gives a spring with half the length, and twice the constant.

If the mass of the weight is large compared to the mass of the ruler and the ruler is fairily stiff, then you'll probably see a linear(ish) relationship.

You should blast your lab partners for losing the data anyway.

Anyways, I booted my lab partners from my team and redid the experiment on my own. I got a cubic relationship. There is no possible way they could have gotten the results they got. I hate groupworks, you always have to rely on your teammates...Thx for your answers guys.

1. What is a cantilever experiment?

A cantilever experiment is a scientific experiment designed to test the relationship between two variables, where one variable is fixed and the other is allowed to vary. This setup is often used to determine if there is a linear relationship between the two variables.

2. How is the cantilever experiment set up?

The cantilever experiment involves attaching a cantilever beam to a fixed point and adding weight to the end of the beam. The amount of weight added is the independent variable, while the deflection of the beam is the dependent variable. This setup allows for the measurement of the relationship between weight and deflection.

3. Why is it important to determine if the relationship is linear?

Determining if the relationship between two variables is linear is important because it allows scientists to make predictions and understand the behavior of the system. If the relationship is linear, it means that the two variables are directly proportional to each other, and changes in one variable will result in predictable changes in the other variable.

4. How is the linear relationship determined in a cantilever experiment?

In a cantilever experiment, the linear relationship is determined by plotting the data points of weight versus deflection on a graph. If the data points form a straight line, it indicates a linear relationship. Scientists can also use statistical analysis to determine the correlation coefficient, which measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship.

5. What are some factors that can affect the linearity of a cantilever experiment?

The linearity of a cantilever experiment can be affected by factors such as the material and design of the cantilever beam, the accuracy of the measuring equipment, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important for scientists to control for these factors to ensure accurate results.