1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cantor sets (poof needed)

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let C be a Cantor set and let x in C be given
    prove that
    a) Every neighborhood of x contains points in C, different from x.
    b) Every neighborhood of x contains points not in C

2. Relevant equations

How can I start to prove?

3. The attempt at a solution

n/a

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The usual way would be to think about what the Cantor set means in terms of an expansion in base 3, i.e. ternary.

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    I need some kind of initiation. Prof. had just defined the Cantor set and assigned this problem.
    I do not have more info about this. I looked the internet they are little bit complicated.

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, what definition did your teacher give you? And are you talking about a Cantor set or the Cantor set?

6. Oct 12, 2011 #5
    a cantor set

7. Oct 12, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, but once again, what definition of "Cantor set" are you using?

8. Oct 12, 2011 #7
    A1={[0,1/3],[2/3,1]}
    A2={[0,1/9],[2/9,3/9],[6/9,7/9],[8/9,9/9]}
    :
    :
    :

intersection of all Ai is the Cantor set.

This is definition that Prof. defined.

9. Oct 12, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hint in post 2 remains valid. You might also think about what the measure (length) of the Cantor set might be.

10. Oct 12, 2011 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you see that, in base 3 notation, every number in [0, 1/3] starts "0.0..." and every number in [2/3, 1] starts "0.2..". That is, A1 contains all real numbers between 0 and 1 whose base 3 representation does NOT have a "1" in the first place.

Do you see that, again in base 3 notation, every number in [0, 1/9] starts 0.00..., every number in [2/9, 3/9] starts 0.02..., every number in [6/9, 7/9] starts 0.20..., and every number in [8/9, 1] starts 0.22... That is, A2 contains all real numbers between 0 and 1 whose base 3 representation does NOT have a "1" in the first two places.

Ai is the set of all numbers between 0 and 1 whose base three representation does not have a "1" in the first i places.

So the Cantor set is the set of all numbers between 0 and 1 whose base 3 representation does not contain any "1" in its base three representation. Now look at intervals around a number "x" in that set.

11. Oct 12, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could also think about endpoints. Did you notice all of the endpoints of the intervals in A_n are also in A_n+1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook