1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance and electric field

1. Jul 3, 2006 #1
    I've got a few more I need help with.....I think I might have these ones, but not quite sure....as the concepts are still new to me.

1. If the voltage between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is doubled, the capacitance of the capacitor....
    A. is halved
    B. remains the same
    C. is doubled
    D. quadrouples

---I think is is A(halved)....because Ceq = Q/V.....so doubling something on the bottom....would be the same as halving C on the other side.

2. If the voltage applied to a parallel plate capacitor is doubled, the electric field between the plates.....
    A. is halved
    B. remains the same
    C. is doubled
    D. quadrouples

----I'm thinking the answer is C(doubled), because E=V/d....

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What has to occur to Q in order for the voltage to double?

AM

4. Jul 4, 2006 #3
    well if you take Ceq/Q and inverse them. So....then V=Q/Ceq. So....if you double Q, you double V. Likewise.....if you half Ceq, then V will double. Am I right, or not? And, in this question, I'm looking for C....right.

5. Jul 4, 2006 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's assume that plate separation does not change. So if to double V you necessarily must double Q what happens to C? I think that is what the question is asking. Otherwise the question is ambiguous.

AM

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  6. Jul 4, 2006 #5
    If to double V.....and you HAVE to double Q......then I'd say C stays the same.....or am I still off......this is confusing to me for some reason.

Andrew.....am I correct on the other question then?

7. Jul 4, 2006 #6
    You are right about the second problem.

To clear up any residual confusion, I will suggest you refer to your problem and then directly to Andrew's post and only if necessary read this:

The capacitance is given by

[tex]C = \frac{\epsilon_{0}A}{d}[/tex]

It is clear that [itex]C[/itex] is not a function of charge [itex]Q[/itex] or potential difference [itex]V[/itex]. Hence, when you write

[tex]Q = CV[/tex]

you are actually saying that

[tex]Q \alpha V[/tex]

that is the charge is directly proportional to the applied potential difference. It says no more.

Now when you have a capacitor you have figure out whether it is connected to a source (constant V) or is isolated (constant Q). In your first problem, [itex]V[/itex] changes to [itex]2V[/itex] so obviously the charge must double. However, you aren't changing the geometry so C does not change at all. So you are right.

8. Jul 4, 2006 #7
    Thanks maverick........and you too Andrew. I really appreciate it. That does make a lot more sense now though......I kinda forgot they were perportional.....thanks again!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?