Capacitance between two crossed wires

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of capacitance for a system of two wires, which are simplified as cylinders of radius R but are actually strips. The calculation is done using Gauss' law and the equation C=Q/V, where Q is the charge and V is the potential difference. The conversation also mentions the impact of orientation on the capacitance, with parallel wires resulting in a higher capacitance compared to perpendicular wires. For a more realistic rectangular strip geometry, there is no analytical solution and numerical computation is needed. This can be done using software such as MATLAB or Mathematica or through public sites that offer pre-made programs or simulations.
free_electron

Homework Statement

I have two wires (length L) which are separated by a distance d. They are also oriented perpendicularly (but I am curious about the orientation impact, part of the question). By simplification, I assume them to be cylinders of radius R (in actuality they are likely strips). I expect R ~ d <<L. I would like to find the capacitance of such a system, where the two wires act as the electrodes.

Homework Equations

Gauss law: E=Q/(e0*2*pi*r*L) (r>R) (Field around a wire, cylindrical geometry)

=> V = integral of E vs distance between wires (R->d): V=Q/(e0*2*pi*L) ln (d/R)

The Attempt at a Solution

C=Q/V = (e0*2*pi*L)/ln(d/R)

The question has several little parts:

a) assuming the cylindrical geometry is the above calculation correct?

b) going to a realistic rectangular strip geometry, is there an analytical solution or can it only be numerically computed on a workstation? Can this solution be found at some public site?

c) How does the orientation matter?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and have approached it correctly using Gauss' law. To answer your questions:

a) Yes, your calculation for the capacitance of the cylindrical wires is correct. However, keep in mind that this is an approximation since the wires are actually strips and not perfect cylinders.

b) For a more realistic rectangular strip geometry, there is not an analytical solution and it would need to be numerically computed. This can be done on a workstation using software such as MATLAB or Mathematica. There may be some public sites or resources that have pre-made programs or simulations for this type of problem, so it would be worth doing some research to see what is available.

c) The orientation of the wires can impact the capacitance of the system. If the wires are parallel to each other, the capacitance will be higher compared to when they are perpendicular. This is because the electric field lines are able to pass through the wires more easily when they are parallel, resulting in a higher capacitance.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Keep up the good work with your calculations and problem-solving skills. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarification. Good luck with your studies!

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of farads (F) and is determined by the geometry of the system and the dielectric material between the conductors.

What are crossed wires?

Crossed wires refer to two conductors that are placed perpendicular to each other, forming a cross shape. In the context of capacitance, this refers to two wires that are close enough to each other to have a measurable capacitance between them.

How is capacitance between two crossed wires calculated?

The capacitance between two crossed wires can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material between the wires, A is the area of overlap between the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

What factors affect the capacitance between two crossed wires?

The capacitance between two crossed wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the area of overlap between the wires, the dielectric material between the wires, and the geometry of the wires. A larger area of overlap and a smaller distance between the wires will result in a higher capacitance.

How is capacitance between two crossed wires used in practical applications?

Capacitance between crossed wires is used in various electronic devices, such as capacitive touch screens and capacitive sensors. It can also be used in circuit design to store and regulate electric charge.