1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance Decrease w/ Applied DC

1. Apr 28, 2005 #1
    I would like to understand why my 100uF 6.3V X5R dielectric ceramic capacitor decreases to ~60uF under a 5V applied DC bias. Can anyone explain the physical phenomenon?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2005 #2
    So, you applied 5V to 100uF cap and when you measured its capacitance by some equipment after removing supply it was 60uF. Am I right? Did you measured the capacitance at other voltages too?

4. Apr 28, 2005 #3
    Remember that capacitance is a constant and can't be changed normally if the capacitor is being used under the working voltage mentioned for that component.

5. Apr 28, 2005 #4
    The decrease in capacitance is while the 5V DC is applied. I can measure the capacitance at 60uF with an applied DC voltage. When I remove the 5V supply (DC Bias = 0V), the measured capacitance goes up to 80uF, which is just barely above the lower limit for the 100uF cap (+/-20%).

The capacitance is not constant! It's a well known phenomenon that some dielectrics decrease in permitivity as a function of an applied DC voltage, or an increase/decrease in temperature, etc. I just wanted to understand the phenomenon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?