Understanding the Impact of Lead Length on Capacitance Measurements

• Thread starter Darren93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary: So the measured value is 0.72pF.In summary, the experiment was set up in a way that may be causing the incorrect readings. There is no theoretical explanation for why the circular setup would have a higher capacitance.
Darren93
Hi, I'm looking at an experiment at the moment whereby I'm using an LCR meter to measure capacitance. However the effect of leads seems to be quite profound. Connecting up 50cm leads in a parallel setup has a capacitance of about 3pF and in a circle setup about 26pF. What causes such a capacitance and why does varying the shape cause a change in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a "circular setup"? It SOUNDS like something where the wires would be farther apart than in a parallel setup, so if that's the case then you must have made an error in your measurements since the capacitance should be dramatically less if you move the leads away from each other.

That's what I would of thought. I checked several times and that's the readings the meter indicated. By a circle I mean a single loop where we just pulled apart the leads to form a circle. I have no idea what's going on to cause such a change. Could it be that there is a larger inductance of the wires that the reader is mistaking as a capacitance? Or is there any theoretical rational for why a circular wire would have a higher capacitance?

Hm ... I don't get it either.

I am quite interested in how this experiment was set up.

It could be that as you close the loop, the magnetic fields interact better to store energy.

[itex] C= \frac {A \varepsilon}{d} [/itex]

As the distance, d, gets smaller, the capacitance, C, gets larger.

Plant_Boy said:
As the distance, d, gets smaller, the capacitance, C, gets larger.
Yes, that's the point. He is getting the OPPOSITE result which neither of us find reasonable.

Oh, Are we about to go into Lorentz forces here...? o_O

As long as I know now there is no real theoretical explanation as to why that would happen I can blame the meter readings giving off false readings. I'm pretty sure it is due to the inductance being larger, and as the meter works of determining phase shift from input to output it could cause problems with the capacitance measurments.

I'm guessing it's 50/60Hz noise coupling into the circular arrangement and confusing the meter. Capacitance measurements of small value capacitances should be made with as short a length of leads as possible, and the unconnected capacitance reading should be subtracted from the measured value. I have leads about 5cm long on my hand-held LCR meter, and its unconnected reading is 0.28pF.

1. What is the capacitance effect of leads?

The capacitance effect of leads refers to the phenomenon where electrical leads or wires, due to their physical properties and proximity to each other, can act as a capacitor and store electrical charge.

2. How does capacitance affect circuit performance?

Capacitance can affect circuit performance in several ways. It can cause signal distortion, reduce the accuracy of measurements, and introduce noise into the circuit.

3. How can I minimize the capacitance effect of leads?

To minimize the capacitance effect of leads, you can use shorter and thicker wires, increase the distance between leads, and use twisted pair cables to reduce the capacitance between leads.

4. Can the capacitance effect of leads be beneficial?

Yes, in some cases, the capacitance effect of leads can be beneficial. It can act as a filter or bypass capacitor, reducing noise and improving circuit performance in high-frequency applications.

5. How does the length of leads affect capacitance?

The longer the leads, the higher the capacitance. This is because the longer the leads, the more surface area is exposed, and the closer they are to each other, increasing their capacitance.