Capacitance Help: Solving Part A & B

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store an electric charge, represented by the symbol C and measured in units of Farads (F). It can be calculated by dividing the amount of charge stored on an object by the voltage applied to that object and is affected by factors such as distance between plates, plate area, and type of material. Capacitance is important in solving problems related to electricity and has practical applications in electronic circuits, energy storage, touch screens, and various electrical components.
Tom McCurdy
Alright I have the answers... I was just hoping someone could explain how you would go about getting those answers

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/44436150me3e0859f/bc/My+Documents/Picture+1.png?bfwadIFBB1QyCb1K"

To Part A & B

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That page is not getting served up, Tom. Can you upload a copy?

:

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in Farads (F) and is calculated by dividing the charge (Q) by the voltage (V).

Part A: In this problem, we are given the charge (Q) and the voltage (V) of a capacitor. To solve for capacitance, we simply divide the charge by the voltage.

C = Q/V

C = 0.005 C / 5 V

C = 0.001 F or 1 mF

Part B: In this problem, we are given the capacitance (C) and the voltage (V) of a capacitor. To solve for charge, we rearrange the equation to solve for Q.

Q = C x V

Q = 0.0008 F x 10 V

Q = 0.008 C or 8 mC

In both cases, the units of capacitance (F) and charge (C) cancel out, leaving us with the correct units for the answers. It is important to pay attention to the units when solving problems involving capacitance.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store an electric charge. It is represented by the symbol C and is measured in units of Farads (F).

2. How do I calculate capacitance?

Capacitance can be calculated by dividing the amount of electric charge stored on an object by the voltage applied to that object. This can be expressed as C = Q/V, where Q is the charge and V is the voltage.

3. What are the factors that affect capacitance?

The capacitance of an object is affected by several factors, including the distance between the object's plates, the area of the plates, and the type of material between the plates. It also depends on the dielectric constant of the material, which measures its ability to store an electric field.

4. How does capacitance help in solving problems?

Capacitance is an important concept in electrical engineering and is used to solve various problems related to electricity and circuits. It helps in determining the amount of charge stored in a capacitor, the voltage across a capacitor, and the time it takes to charge or discharge a capacitor.

5. What are some practical applications of capacitance?

Capacitance has various practical applications, such as in electronic circuits, storing energy in batteries and capacitors, and in touch screens and touch sensors. It is also used in power factor correction, signal filtering, and in the functioning of microphones and loudspeakers.