Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance of a cylinder containing an infinite number of cylinders

1. May 3, 2005 #1
    I am a struggling physiology PhD student and would very much appreciate some help...

I need an expression for the capacitance of a cylinder (of finite radius and length) containing an infinite number of infinitely thin cylinders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
    -Ian

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2005 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your question is poorly posed. Capacitance is defined as the ratio of the charges on two conductors (+Q on one and -Q on the other) to the voltage (V) between them,
    so C=Q/V. With an infinite number, what do you mean by capacitance?
    Is the outer cylinder of finite length open or closed at the ends?

4. May 3, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the outside cylinder fully closed (that is, closed off at both ends)? If it is, then it does not matter what is inside it (I'm 90% sure of that, but someone correct me please).
    Is there any separation between the outside cylinder and the inner ones? If not, then it would be identical to a solid cylinder, which would be identical (in capacitance) to a cylindrical shell.

Otherwise, the problem implies an infinitessimal distance between layers of a capacitor, which implies a capacitance that approaches infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?