Capacitance of a Thundercloud

• Thread starter mathnoobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the charge center of a thundercloud, drifting 3.0km above the Earth's surface, contains 20 C of negative charge. Assuming the charge center has a radius of 1.0km, calculate the capacitance of the system.
mathnoobie

Homework Statement

The charge center of a thundercloud, drifting 3.0km above the Earth's surface, contains 20 C of negative charge.
Assuming the charge center has a radius of 1.0km Calculate the Capacitance of the system.

Homework Equations

C=8.85*(10^(-12))*A/d

Where A is the area, D is the separation distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I just used the formula and plugged and chugged because of the large sizes, we can ignore the curvature and treat it as parallel plate capacitors.
8.85*10^(-12)*4∏(1000)^2/3000

This however gave me the wrong answer, I'm not really sure where to go from here since this path was wrong.

I hope there isn't a limit to how many questions you can ask in a day :P

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the large absolute sizes justify the flat plate approximation. The problem would be essentially the same if the 3km and 1km were replace by 3m and 1m. It's the ratio of these sizes that might justify such an approximation.
What you have here can be thought of either as a sphere and an infinite plate, or as two spheres, non-concentric.

haruspex said:
I don't think the large absolute sizes justify the flat plate approximation. The problem would be essentially the same if the 3km and 1km were replace by 3m and 1m. It's the ratio of these sizes that might justify such an approximation.
What you have here can be thought of either as a sphere and an infinite plate, or as two spheres, non-concentric.

I confirmed with my professor about a week ago that it is to be solved using the flat plate approximation. He normally doesn't reply on the weekends though so I figured I'd go on here for help. I can't think of any other path to take regarding this problem.

Sorry, I completely misunderstood the geometry. I thought the charge in the cloud was a sphere which you were approximating as flat. I see now it is intended to be a disc. Given that, I can find no flaw in your method. What is the 'correct' answer?

haruspex said:
Sorry, I completely misunderstood the geometry. I thought the charge in the cloud was a sphere which you were approximating as flat. I see now it is intended to be a disc. Given that, I can find no flaw in your method. What is the 'correct' answer?

C=9.3*10^-9 Farads.

My answer is 3.7*10^-8, when I punch it in the calculator.

So where does the 4 come from in 8.85*10^(-12)*4∏(1000)^2/3000?

haruspex said:
So where does the 4 come from in 8.85*10^(-12)*4∏(1000)^2/3000?

Oh no, I was geometrically incorrect, I've been working with so many spheres that I assumed this was a sphere in the math even though I knew it was a disc.

That fixes everything. Thank you!

1. What is the capacitance of a thundercloud?

The capacitance of a thundercloud refers to its ability to store electrical charge, typically measured in farads (F). This capacitance can vary depending on the size and composition of the cloud, but on average it is estimated to be around 100-1000 farads.

2. How is the capacitance of a thundercloud calculated?

The capacitance of a thundercloud can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge stored in the cloud, and V is the potential difference between the cloud and the ground. This calculation can be complicated due to the varying shape and size of thunderclouds, but it is generally estimated using atmospheric conditions and the size of the cloud.

3. What causes the capacitance of a thundercloud?

The capacitance of a thundercloud is caused by the separation of positive and negative charges within the cloud. When water droplets and ice crystals collide within the cloud, they become charged and create an imbalance of positive and negative charges. This separation of charges creates an electric field and leads to the capacitance of the cloud.

4. Can the capacitance of a thundercloud change?

Yes, the capacitance of a thundercloud can change depending on the conditions within the cloud. If more water droplets and ice crystals collide, the charge separation and thus the capacitance will increase. Similarly, if precipitation occurs and removes some of the charged particles, the capacitance may decrease.

5. How is the capacitance of a thundercloud related to lightning?

The capacitance of a thundercloud is directly related to the occurrence of lightning. When the electric field within the cloud becomes too strong, it can cause a discharge of electricity in the form of lightning. The higher the capacitance of the cloud, the stronger the electric field and the more likely it is to produce lightning.