1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Capacitance of a Transmission line

1. Jan 3, 2018 #21
  2. Jan 3, 2018 #22

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Speaking only of line-to-line capacitance, the answer is what I said in post 15, i.e. C = πε/ln(d/r). This can be derived by invoking two Gaussian surfaces, one for each charged wire, with superposition for the two wires, each charged with charge Q.

I have further confirmed this by computing inductance L, setting Z0 = √(L/C) which gives Z0 = 120 ln(D/r) and which agrees with my radio engineers' handbook.

But if one of the wires has zero charge, which is how you can think of a "neutral", the capacitance is doubled since the potential difference between the two wires would now be halved and C=Q/V.

3. Jan 3, 2018 #23

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a problem with the word 'neutral'. A real 'neutral' carries no current, whether it be a third grounded wire or a fictional plane. In my (older) house the wiring is 2 wires, not 3, & one of them (the white one) is called 'neutral' but it carries all the return current & so is in every sense a 2-wire system with no real 'neutral', and the inter-wire capacitance is πε/ln(D/r). It's called 'neutral' because it's connected to earth ground so its potential is zero.

4. Jan 3, 2018 #24

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Jan 3, 2018 #25
    Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted