1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance of an infinite series

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The capacitance of each capacitor of the infinite series shown in the picture is C = 1[tex]\mu[/tex]F. Find the total capacitance between points a and b. IMAGE: http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/3674/pic002311.jpg" [Broken] (continues to infinity)

2. Relevant equations

In series, (1/Ceq) = (1/C1)+....(1/Cn)
    In parallel, Ceq = C1+...Cn

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, since the series extends to infinity, it seems that it is just a repeat of the first branch/loop (A--B, 3 capacitors only), and I thought that the Capacitance between A&B would be infinity. After thinking this over, I doubt this would be the case, seeing as that is TOO easy.

After, I thought that it could be possible for the capacitors in the top and bottom rows to be in parallel with each other, but then I saw there is a break in between by the 3rd capacitor in between.

I'm totally lost on how to handle this :/

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Cute problem.

Let D be the capacitance between points a and b. Think of the whole infinite chain as a single capacitor with capacitance D.

Now consider adding another link of the chain in front of it; that is, connect a and b with a new capacitor with capacitance C, and then create new endpoints a' and b' by adding a capacitor between a and a' and another one between b and b' (each with capacitance C). Now, the whole thing will have a capacitance E between a' and b'; you should be able to calculate E in terms of C and D.

But, since the chain was infinite to begin with, adding another link should not change its total capacitance; that is, we should have E=D.

This is enough info to compute D.

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I've made this quick picture of what you've typed out:
    http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3674/pic002311.jpg" [Broken]

So adding this link in this infinite chain will not affect the total capacitance D, where E=D.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the capacitance between a' & b' is the equivalent capacitance of the 3 capacitors, which are in series, so (1/Ceq) = (1/C + 1/C + 1/C), where C = 1 microFarad

So the equivalent capacitance of this is equal to C/3, which, is equal to E, which is also equal to D?

So the capacitance of this infinite series of capacitors (D), is equal to C/3, or 1/3 microFarad?

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    sorry for this...

bump perhaps? :(

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
    No. D is parallel with one of the C's and the result of that is in series with two more C's
    The result of that is equal to D again.

7. Oct 24, 2009 #6
    Ok, so we have one Capacitor with Ceq = C+D (since one capacitor and D are in parallel)

Then, there are 3 capacitors which are in series with each other. Then here is where confusion steps in...

(1/C) + (1/C) + (1/C+D) = 1/D

or

(1/C) + (1/C) + (1/C+D) = D

I see that this will yield a quadratic equation.

8. Oct 24, 2009 #7
    you mean 1/((1/C) + (1/C) + (1/(C+D))) = D?

You indeed get a quadratic. The final answer for D is quite simple.

9. Oct 25, 2009 #8
    I got an answer of 1 microFarad, or 1 x 10^-6 Farads.

It seems that this is a quite simple answer, but WHY is this the answer? What leads the capacitance of this whole series to be 1 microF?

10. Nov 3, 2009 #9
    bump please :]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook