Capacitance of concentric circles

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the capacitance from a graph of r against V. The individual tried plotting ln(r) against V to make it a straight plot, but is unsure of how to find the capacitance from the graph. They have already calculated the theoretical capacitance using the formula C=2*pi*epsilon/ln(r/a) to be 40pF. They are seeking advice on how to find the capacitance from the graph.
adichy

Homework Statement

i have a graph or r against V and to make it a straight plot i then plotted ln(r) against V,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the problem is i dnt know how to find the capacitance from the graph. it definitely isn't the gradient or the point of interception since the capacitance needs to be in the pF. I've already worked out what the capacitance should be theoretically i.e. using C= 2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]/ln (r/a) and it came out to be 40pF

any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that C is defined as Q/V. Nobody can see your graph so nobody will really be able to help you at all.

1. What is the formula for calculating capacitance of concentric circles?

The formula for calculating capacitance of concentric circles is C = 2πε0εr/ln(b/a), where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the circles, b is the radius of the larger circle, and a is the radius of the smaller circle.

2. How does the distance between the concentric circles affect capacitance?

The distance between the concentric circles, represented by the difference in radii (b-a), directly affects the capacitance. As the distance increases, the capacitance decreases and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of concentric circles in capacitance?

Concentric circles are significant in capacitance because they create a parallel-plate capacitor, which is a common and useful type of capacitor. The concentric circles allow for a large surface area within a small space, increasing the capacitance and making it a practical design for electronic devices.

4. How does the material between the concentric circles affect capacitance?

The material between the concentric circles, represented by the relative permittivity (εr), affects the capacitance by influencing the electric field strength between the circles. Materials with a higher relative permittivity will have a higher capacitance, as they can store more charge.

5. Are there any practical applications of capacitance in concentric circles?

Yes, there are several practical applications of capacitance in concentric circles. One example is in capacitive sensors, where the change in capacitance between concentric circles can be used to detect the proximity or touch of an object. They are also commonly used in electronic circuits for energy storage and filtering of signals.