What are the different types of capacitance in a system of conductors and Earth?

In summary: Partial capacitance is the capacitance between two points connected by a conductor.So, in summary, partial capacitance is the capacitance between two points connected by a conductor. Thanks for the link!
learnABC
Anybody please help to tell me if there's a book or journal that clearly describe the definition and differences ( best if it comes with illustration or diagram) between these engineering terms:
(1)partial capacitance
(2)mutual capacitance
(3)self capacitance
(4)earth capacitance
Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Cable" + "capacitance" yields a half million hits. Are you interested in power cables? Signal transmission/distribution? Instrumentation cables?

I found Time Domain Reflectometery very valuable in my work as reactor plant electrician.

learnABC said:
Anybody please help to tell me if there's a book or journal that clearly describe the definition and differences ( best if it comes with illustration or diagram) between these engineering terms:
(1)partial capacitance
(2)mutual capacitance
(3)self capacitance
(4)earth capacitance
Thank you!

What is "partial capacitance"? I haven't heard that term before...

Likes davenn
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mop.21166/abstract

Keywords:
  • multiconductor systems;
  • capacitive coupling;
  • partial-capacitances
Abstract
In the analysis of electrostatic-field problems for multiconductor systems with n + 1 conducting bodies immersed in dielectric media, the capacitive coupling effects among conductors can be described by means of a partial-capacitance scheme consisting of a network of n(n + 1)/2 capacitors, each one linking each conductor pair. From a physical viewpoint, each capacitor is usually associated with the existence of lines of force of the displacement field vector D from one conductor to another. In this paper, we show that such a physical interpretation not only cannot be taken literally, but also, above all, can be a misleading one. If care is not taken, computation procedures based on D-field integration may lead to a wrong evaluation of the partial-capacitance scheme. For illustration purposes, a very simple example of a symmetric three-conductor system with odd-mode excitation is analyzed. © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Microwave Opt Technol Lett 47: 346–349, 2005; Published online in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI 10.1002/mop.21166

doesn't really make sense to me either, Berkeman
capacitance either exists or it doesn't and it has a value, small or large

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
What is "partial capacitance"? I haven't heard that term before...
Suppose a system of any number of finite size, galvanically separated conductors placed at some distances from each other and at some distances from "infinite" or very large conductor. That very large conductor can be Earth (earth's equipotential surface), and this situation for 3 conductors and Earth is illustrated in the following pic:

Cc72b8.png

Anylisis show that in electrostatic case there are 6 uniquelly defined capacities in linear dielectric medium. 3 mutual capacities between conductors (Cm) and 3 capacities of conductors to Earth (Ce). To my knowledge, each one of these 6 capacities is referred to as a "partial capacity".

Likes berkeman

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a material or device to store electrical charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

2. How is capacitance related to electric cables?

Electric cables have capacitance due to the presence of two or more conductors separated by an insulating material. This creates a capacitance between the conductors, which can affect the flow of electrical current through the cable.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of electric cables?

The capacitance of electric cables can be affected by the distance between the conductors, the type and thickness of the insulating material, and the surface area of the conductors. Higher capacitance values are typically seen in cables with larger surface area and closer spacing between the conductors.

4. How is capacitance calculated for electric cables?

The capacitance of an electric cable can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the insulating material, A is the surface area of the conductors, and d is the distance between the conductors. This formula assumes a parallel-plate capacitor geometry.

5. Why is capacitance important in electric cables?

Capacitance in electric cables can affect the transmission of electrical signals and power. It can also cause unwanted interference in electronic circuits. Understanding the capacitance of electric cables is important for designing and optimizing electrical systems.