Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance of electric cable

1. Jan 1, 2015 #1
    Anybody please help to tell me if there's a book or journal that clearly describe the definition and differences ( best if it comes with illustration or diagram) between these engineering terms:
    (1)partial capacitance
    (2)mutual capacitance
    (3)self capacitance
    (4)earth capacitance
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Cable" + "capacitance" yields a half million hits. Are you interested in power cables? Signal transmission/distribution? Instrumentation cables?

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

I found Time Domain Reflectometery very valuable in my work as reactor plant electrician.

5. Jan 3, 2015 #4
  6. Jan 3, 2015 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is "partial capacitance"? I haven't heard that term before...

7. Jan 4, 2015 #6
  8. Jan 4, 2015 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

9. Jan 4, 2015 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mop.21166/abstract

doesn't really make sense to me either, Berkeman
    capacitance either exists or it doesn't and it has a value, small or large

10. Jan 8, 2015 #9
    Suppose a system of any number of finite size, galvanically separated conductors placed at some distances from each other and at some distances from "infinite" or very large conductor. That very large conductor can be earth (earth's equipotential surface), and this situation for 3 conductors and earth is illustrated in the following pic:

Cc72b8.png

Anylisis show that in electrostatic case there are 6 uniquelly defined capacities in linear dielectric medium. 3 mutual capacities between conductors (Cm) and 3 capacities of conductors to earth (Ce). To my knowledge, each one of these 6 capacities is referred to as a "partial capacity".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook