1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance of two spherical conductors

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    Given that two spherical conductors of radii r1 and r2 are separated by
    x>>(both r), connected by a thin wire, and charged with 7 uC - how is the charge distributed between the spheres (no charge on wire)?

I tried using charge density but:

Qtot/A1+A2 = Q1/A1 + Q/A2 doesn't work by definition

then maybe:

C(dV) = Q for either sphere - but how do you find dV without knowing the charge on each first? However, I got the correct answers when I flukily got dV by using the total charge of the system (7uC) and the sum of the radii (r1+r2) and multiplying by C of each sphere. I don't understand why this worked though.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,i don't follow your "proof".I would advise you to use the fact that the charges on the 2 spheres are distributed in such a way,as to insure equal electric potential for each sphere...

Daniel.

4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    why do they have to have the same electric potential?

5. Mar 3, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because if they didn't charge would be moving from one to another until they did.So better assume that they already do.

Daniel.

6. Mar 3, 2005 #5
    ok, I see. This means that the potential difference between them is 0 right? Also, would the potential of the system be V1 + V2?

7. Mar 3, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes to the first question...As for the second,you don't need that piece of information.

Daniel.

8. Mar 3, 2005 #7
    Ok, but what if I wanted to know the potential of the system - would it be V1 + V2?

9. Mar 4, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,potential (electric) is additive.But,again,you don't need this info.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?