1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance pdf crosscheck

1. Feb 23, 2016 #1
    A capacitor has a capacitance C and is charged using a battery. After disconnecting the battery the two plates are separated until they are twice as far apart as originally. What happens to the voltage across the capacitor?
    I think answer should be voltage increases . As battery has been disconnected q will remain same . Distance between the plates is increasing , capacitance should decrease.
    ##Q##= CΔV
    As Q is constant and C is decreasing , V should increase.
    But according to http://www.bama.ua.edu/~tmewes/PH-106/2008/clicker%20questions/CH26%20Clicker.pdf [Broken]
    Go to page 10
    Voltage goes down . It is wrong . And formula is also wrong. Is that correct?

I have gone through all 14 pages of this pdf and found them right except this one , but I want to confirm are all other 13 pages correct?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with you ... it may have been a genuine highlighting mistake ?

it increases because you do work on the system to spread the plates, this results in an increase in potential energy

Dave

4. Feb 23, 2016 #3

5. Feb 23, 2016 #4
    Yes, the formula is wrong on that page.(10)

6. Feb 24, 2016 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right.

Solving ##\ Q= C\,ΔV\ ## for ΔV gives ##\displaystyle\ \Delta V = \frac QC \ ##.

That pdf / PowerPoint has the incorrect ##\displaystyle\ \Delta V = \frac CQ \ ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook