Can Human Body's Capacitance Destroy Sensitive Electronic Equipment?

• Thread starter Apprentice123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, as a person moves in a dry environment, electric charge can accumulate in the body, reaching a high voltage of 10,000 volts. This charge can cause visible sparks or shocks. The body has a typical capacitance of 150 picofarads. For (a), we can calculate the charge produced by the body using the equation Q = C.V, which results in a charge of 1.5 microcoulombs. For (b), we can use the equation U = 1/2 * C * V^2 to find the voltage on the body, which is approximately 1825 volts. This voltage can potentially destroy sensitive electronic equipment if discharged, releasing an energy of 250x10^{-6}
Apprentice123
As a person moves in an environment dry, electric charge accumulates in the body. Since the body is in high voltage, positive or negative, can download by visible sparks or shocks. Consider a human body and separate the soil, with typical capacitance of 150pF.

(a) Load that the body produces a potential of 10,0kV ?

(b) Sensitive electronic equipment can be destroyed by electrostatic discharge of a person. A device can be destroyed by a discharge that releases an energy of 250x10^{-6}J. This corresponds to the voltage on the body ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like homework to me. How would YOU go about solving these problems?

negitron said:
Sounds like homework to me. How would YOU go about solving these problems?

I do not understand the problem. What should I calculate?

(a) I am just guessing, but I think "load" means charge. So calculate the charge.

Redbelly98 said:
(a) I am just guessing, but I think "load" means charge. So calculate the charge.

Yes. I also think it load is charge

Have you reviewed the equations that involve capacitance? That is where to start.

Redbelly98 said:
Have you reviewed the equations that involve capacitance? That is where to start.

Specifically, you want to find the equation which relates capacitance, charge and voltage. And the equation which relates charge, voltage and energy.

I think:

a) Q = C.V

Q = (150x10^{-12})x(10x10^{3})
Q = 1.5x10^{-6} coulomb

Alternative (b) I do not understand

Apprentice123 said:
I think:

a) Q = C.V

Q = (150x10^{-12})x(10x10^{3})
Q = 1.5x10^{-6} coulomb

Alternative (b) I do not understand

Correct equation and calculation for (a).

Now, for (b), you need an equation that relates capacitance, voltage and the energy stored on that capacitance...

berkeman said:
Correct equation and calculation for (a).

Now, for (b), you need an equation that relates capacitance, voltage and the energy stored on that capacitance...

I find
(b) U = 1/2 * C * V^2
V = 1825,74 V

Looks good! Though we really only know that number to 2 significant figures.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a capacitor to store electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is determined by the physical characteristics of the capacitor, such as the distance between the plates and the type of dielectric material used.

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store and release electrical energy. It is made of two conductive plates separated by a non-conductive material, called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, it stores electric charge on its plates.

What are the factors that affect capacitance?

The factors that affect capacitance include the distance between the plates of the capacitor, the area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. The dielectric constant of the material also plays a role in determining capacitance.

How is capacitance calculated?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge on the plates in coulombs, and V is the voltage applied to the capacitor in volts. Alternatively, capacitance can also be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where ε is the dielectric constant, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What are some applications of capacitance?

Capacitors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including radios, televisions, computers, and mobile phones. They are also used in power supplies, electric motors, and electronic filters. Capacitors are also important components in circuits that require time-delay, voltage smoothing, and energy storage.