1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance required to continue in a power lapse

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    A capacitor is often used in electronics to keep energy flowing even if there is a momentary loss of power from the electric company. What capacitance would be required to a 150-watt televisiion (plugged into a standard 120 volt ac outlet) to protect it from a .1 second lapse in power?

I have done fine with every other question in this section but this one doesnt seem to be going as well. Im just curious how to begin. I know..

C=E0 x A/d (E0=permitivity of free space, 8.85x10^-12)
    The time = .1 s

I just dont see how it all goes together

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2005 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The energy released from a discharging capacitor that starts out with voltage V between its plates and continues to full discharge is given by : [tex]E = \frac{1}{2}CV^2[/tex]. This is the total energy released by the discharging capacitor. The energy needed to tide the TV over the lapse time is given by [tex]E = Pt[/tex] where P is the power and t is the time. Equate the two and figure out C.

4. Feb 2, 2005 #3
    Thanks that makes a lot of sense

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?