How Do You Calculate Charge in Parallel Capacitors?

• Thread starter name_ask17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the conversation was about finding the total charge stored on two capacitors connected in parallel across a 25-V battery. The user initially attempted to use the equation q=Cv to find the charge but did not properly convert the units. With guidance, they were able to correctly find the total capacitance and use it to calculate the charge.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

A 4.0-µF and an 7.0-µF capacitor are connected in parallel across a 25-V battery. Find
the total charge stored on the two capacitors.

Homework Equations

q=Cv

The Attempt at a Solution

i did the eqivalent capactiy*25 volts to get 275 C as the charge but that was marked incorrect- will you explain to me what i am doing wrong? thanks ahead for assistance

Physics news on Phys.org
Watch your orders of magnitude. What are the given units of capacitance?

columb per volt and they give 4 and 7- but how do i fing thr charge using the equation above?

name_ask17 said:
columb per volt and they give 4 and 7- but how do i fing thr charge using the equation above?

What is the total capacitance in Farads?

isnt it just 11??
but how does that lead me to charge?

name_ask17 said:
isnt it just 11??
but how does that lead me to charge?

No, it's not "11". The 11 has units. What are the units that the capacitors were specified with in the problem statement?

Once you have the total capacitance expressed in the correct units, then you can use the method that you employed previously to find the charge (with the correct units!).

OH! ok thanks you because what i was doing was not converting it back to c

but THANKS, you really did help

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied across the capacitor, one plate accumulates positive charge while the other plate accumulates negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores the energy.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of a capacitor's ability to store charge. It is defined as the ratio of the charge stored on the plates to the applied voltage. The unit of capacitance is the farad (F).

What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has its own characteristics and is used for different purposes. For example, electrolytic capacitors have a high capacitance but may have a limited lifespan, while ceramic capacitors have a smaller capacitance but are more stable over time.

What is current and how does it relate to capacitors?

Current is the flow of electric charge. In a capacitor, current is the rate at which charge is flowing onto or off of the plates. When a capacitor is charging, current flows onto the positive plate and off of the negative plate. When a capacitor is discharging, the current flows in the opposite direction.