How Long Does It Take for a Capacitor to Charge to 8V in an RC Circuit?

In summary, the capacitive time constant of a combination of an 8500 Ω resistor and an 80 μF capacitor is 0.68 seconds. If a 9.0 volt battery is suddenly connected, it will take approximately 1.49 seconds for the capacitor voltage to reach 8.0 volts.
rlc

Homework Statement

A 8500 Ω resistor is joined in series with a 80 μF capacitor.
a) What is the capacitive time constant of this combination? (Solved: 0.65 s)
b) If a 9.0 volt battery is suddenly connected across this RC combination, how long will it take for the capacitor voltage to reach 8.0 volt?

Homework Equations

(amount for the capacitor with E-6)(ohms of resistor)=seconds
capacitor voltage= battery voltage (1-e^(-t/capacitive time constant))

The Attempt at a Solution

.[/B]
Part a: (amount for the capacitor with E-6)(ohms of resistor)=seconds
(80E-6)(8500)=0.65 sec

Part b: capacitor voltage= battery voltage (1-e^(-t/capacitive time constant))
8=9(1-e^(-t/rc))
0.889=1-e^(-t/rc)
-0.111=-e^(-t/rc)
0.111=e^(-t/rc)
ln(0.111)=ln(e^(-t/rc))
-2.1972=-t/rc
-t=(-2.1972)(rc)
...rc=0.65 s...
-t=(-2.1972)(0.65)
t=1.428 s

This is wrong. Please help me figure out where I am going wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Your value for the time constant ##\tau## could be more accurate; 8 x 85 is not 650. Keep a few extra decimal places in intermediate values that will be used for further calculations. In fact, you'd be much better off using symbols only, not plugging in any values until the final step. I think you're losing accuracy by having round-off errors invade your significant figures.

Likes rlc
Woops, you're right. My answer for the first part is actually 0.68 NOT 0.65.
Then, using 0.68 in that last calculation gives me 1.49 s, which is right. Thank you for catching that!

What is capacitive time constant?

Capacitive time constant is the time it takes for a capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage or current in response to a step change in input.

How is capacitive time constant calculated?

The capacitive time constant can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance (in Farads) by the resistance (in Ohms) in a simple RC circuit. The resulting unit is in seconds.

What is the significance of capacitive time constant?

Capacitive time constant is important in understanding the behavior of capacitors in circuits. It helps determine the rate of charge or discharge of a capacitor and can be used to calculate the time it takes for a circuit to reach steady-state.

How does capacitive time constant affect circuit performance?

The value of capacitive time constant affects how quickly a capacitor charges or discharges, which can impact the overall performance of a circuit. A longer time constant means it takes longer for the capacitor to reach its steady-state, while a shorter time constant means the capacitor will reach its steady-state faster.

What factors can affect the capacitive time constant?

The capacitive time constant can be affected by the value of the capacitance, the resistance in the circuit, and the voltage or current applied. Temperature and the type of dielectric material used in the capacitor can also impact the time constant.