Capacitor and a moving bar in magnetic field

In summary, the metal bar slides on a rail without friction, as long as the resistance of the circuit is negligible. The velocity and position of the bar as a function of time are determined by the current and potential drop across the resistor, respectively. If resistance is taken into account, the bar will be an oscillator or damped oscillator, depending on the value of the critical damping.
kishtik

Homework Statement

Assume that a metal bar of length h and mass m can slide on a rail without friction. The rail completes the circuit through a capacitor of capacitance C. There ia a uniform magnetic field of magnitude B, perpendicular to the plane of the circuit. Assume the resistance of the circuit is negligible, and initially the bar is moving with velocity v. Find the velocity and position of the bar as a function of time. (You can also solve this problem if the resistance of the circuit is R, it is not more complicated.)

[On the paper, B is given with a circle with a dot at the center, so it points inwards through the paper.]

The Attempt at a Solution

The time derivative of the flux through the circuit is hv, and I know that this is the emf of the moving bar. Also, the force on the bar h.I.B. So, I need to find the current and substitute it in F=ma -> h.B.I = m.(dv/dt) to find v(t), and integrate it to find x(t)... But my problem is that I can't find the current through a capacitor with an applied emf of hv.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, the resistance is important to the problem, since we are probably going to need to know the induced current. Also, a dot in a circle means the magnetic field is pointing up out of the page.

The rate of magnetic flux change is Bhv (since the flux is the integral of field times area). The current will then be Bhv/R . You have to use a resistance somewhere in the problem: you can assign it to the moving bar, if you like...

Keep that capacitor in mind, because they put it there to complicate the problem. At what point will it block the induced current flow?

Last edited:
Sorry, I was too sleepy :)
I can see that I = Bhv/R when the capacitor is not charged and fully conducting. When it is charged to q = CBhv, it will block the current. How can I reach dq/dt from this?

Thinking about this problem, I feel that it will be an oscillator. Because the increase in magnetic flux will generate a clockwise current in the loop (assuming v is to the right), eventually the capacitor will build up a potential difference that opposes the motion of the bar, at which point the bar will stop and turn around. The subsequent decrease in flux will again generate a current, but this time in the opposite direction, so once the capacitor is sufficiently discharged the induced current will overpower it.

If you ignore resistance, it will be an oscillator. If not, it will be a damped oscillator. {EDIT}In fact, I don't know that you could meaningfully solve this without some resistance.

One way to solve is to think about energy. The initial energy is all kinetic 1/2 m v^2, and assuming the bar finally comes to rest and the loop has negligible resistance, the final energy is all stored in the capacitor 1/2 C V^2. (Note that v and V are not the same.) You can find equations in your textbook (in the oscillators section) that relate energy to the amplitude and frequency of motion, and from there you can get the equations of motion.

Or, you can set up Kirchhoff's loop rule. As mentioned, the induced current is Bhv/R, the potential drop across the resistor is IR, and the charge of the capacitor is Q = CV. Since current I is the time derivative of charge Q, Kirchhoff's rules will give you a first order differential equation for Q, the solution of which is a sine/cosine. That implies the motion will be oscillatory also.

Magnetic force here is IhB, or (B^2 h^2 v )/ R and this can be plugged into Newton's 2nd Law, which will again be a first-order differential equation for v. Be careful about positive and negative signs.

Last edited:
[EDIT: On further consideration, I will withdraw this remark. I'm leaving it here only to clarify the replies...]

There is also a critical value for the velocity. It is possible to push the bar fast enough initially so that the velocity oscillates, but the average is greater than zero; otherwise, the bar will rock back and forth. (An analogy would be a pendulum on a pivot. Below a critical value for the velocity at the bottom of the swing, it will oscillate. Above that value, it will spin completely around the pivot with varying speed.)

Last edited:
Isn't there also a critical value if you take damping into account? If I remember correctly, for certain initial conditions the bar's velocity will oscillate but for others its velocity will exponentially decay to zero. Critical damping it's called, or something like that.

merryjman said:
Isn't there also a critical value if you take damping into account? If I remember correctly, for certain initial conditions the bar's velocity will oscillate but for others its velocity will exponentially decay to zero. Critical damping it's called, or something like that.

Yes, I think that would be true. On the other hand, I'm going to withdraw my earlier remark. As I thought about some more, I realized we probably can't reach a situation where the capacitor is unable to absorb enough energy from the inductive sytem; so we should always end up with oscillatory motion. (I think the situation with resistance in the circuit is more interesting, but it may be easier to analyze the system first without including it.)

Ok, this is what I got:
Kirchoff's Rule: Bhv - q/C - IR = 0, and Newton's 2nd: (dq/dt)hB = m(dv/dt).
Substituting v from the second eq. I have:
Aq = dq/dt,
where A = (h^2 B^2/mR) - 1/RC.
Now, the solution q(t) is (q_0)exp(At), which goes to infinity with increasing t... Where is my mistake?

Let me rethink this for a minute--

1) In your solution, the coefficient A would not necessarily be positive, in which case you could get an exponential decay q function which decreases to zero, which would make sense since energy is always being dissipated through the resistor as the bar slides. But the problem doesn't really ask for q(t), so...

2) Go back to where you plugged into Newton's second law. Substitute the induced current (-Bhv/R) into the force expression IhB, and you get [tex]F = -B^{2}h^{2}v/R[/tex] (the negative sign because the force opposes the bar's motion). So then you have a simple differential equation with the expected exponential decay to zero velocity. As far as the sine/cosine stuff I talked about above--

3) I need to fix my previous post - in order to obtain the sine/cosine behavior, the self-inductance of the loop would also have to be considered. This would add another term to the Kirchhoff equation, -L(dI/dt) and then what you have is actually a SECOND order differential equation for Q, which is hard to solve unless you've taken a course in DEq. Whether the Q function is an exponential or a sine/cosine depends on the physical constants C, R and L. In order to go any further with this, you would need to know L, which is determined by the geometry of the current loop. So I think you can ignore this.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by accumulating charges on its two plates, creating an electric field between them. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. The capacitor can then store this charge until it is discharged, releasing the stored energy.

3. What is a moving bar in a magnetic field?

A moving bar in a magnetic field refers to a scenario where a conducting bar is moving through a magnetic field, causing a current to be induced in the bar. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the principle behind the operation of generators and electric motors.

4. What happens when a moving bar in a magnetic field is connected to a capacitor?

When a moving bar in a magnetic field is connected to a capacitor, the changing magnetic field induces a current in the bar, which in turn charges the capacitor. This creates a circuit where the moving bar acts as a source of electrical energy, and the capacitor acts as a storage device for this energy.

5. What is the significance of a capacitor and a moving bar in a magnetic field?

The combination of a capacitor and a moving bar in a magnetic field is important in various applications, such as power generation and energy storage. It allows for the conversion and transfer of energy between mechanical and electrical forms, making it a crucial concept in the field of electromagnetism.