Capacitor and dielectric

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a dielectric plate in a capacitor and the effects on the system in two cases: when the charges on the plates are constant and when the voltage is constant. The equations for calculating energy and force in this system are also mentioned, and it is noted that the capacitance depends on the geometry of the capacitor and the position of the dielectric.
Patrikp
  • 1. The problem statement,
Dielectric plate is placed in capacitor to the half(picture) and it can freely move. Capacitor consists of two parallel plates and is isolated. Consider two cases:
a)charges on plates are constant,
b)voltage is constant.
What happens in each case?

2. Homework Equations

$$W=\frac{1}{2}CV^2=\frac{q^2}{2C}$$
$$F=\frac{dW}{dx}\\ \text{(1)}$$
$$C=εεr \frac{A}{d} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is that the dielectric will be moving inward in both cases and I even have written solution but I don't understand it. I guess that I should find force on dielectric from (2) but before that i need to determine C which I don't know how to do since dielectric is in weird position.[/B]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How does the capacitance depend on the geometry of the capacitor and the dielectric partially between the plates? Write it in terms of x.

capdiel.JPG

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electrical charge on its conductive plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate accumulates a positive charge and the other plate accumulates a negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

3. What is the role of a dielectric in a capacitor?

The dielectric in a capacitor serves as an insulating material between the two conductive plates. It prevents the flow of current between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store charge without discharging it.

4. What are some common materials used as dielectrics?

Some common materials used as dielectrics in capacitors include air, paper, ceramic, plastic, and mica. The choice of dielectric material depends on factors such as the required capacitance, voltage rating, and operating temperature of the capacitor.

5. What are some applications of capacitors and dielectrics?

Capacitors and dielectrics have a wide range of applications in various electronic circuits. They are commonly used in power supplies, filters, timing circuits, and energy storage devices. They are also found in many consumer electronics such as computers, TVs, and mobile phones.