Capacitor and Dielectric: Charge, Arrangement, and Extraction Calculations

In summary: Yes, that is correct. The redistribution of charge causes plate A to become negatively charged and plate B to become positively charged.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

A ##12 \mu F## capacitor ##C_{1}## consists of plates ##A## and ##B##. An ##18 \mu F## capacitor ##C_{2}## consists of plates ##C## and ##D##.

(a) Each are charged up by a ##10 V## battery such that plates ##A## and ##C## are positively charged. They are disconnected from the battery and connected into a series circuit with plate ##A## connected to plate ##D## and plate ##B## connected to plate ##C##, and the system allowed to come to equilibrium. What charge is now on plate ##D##?

(b) Both capacitors ##C_{1}## and ##C_{2}## have square plates of side ##x_{1}## cm and plate separation ##d## cm. The difference is that ##C_1## has only air between its plates, but ##C_2## also has a square plate of dielectric of side ##x_1##, relative permittivity ##\epsilon_{r}## and thickness ##t##. In terms of ##\epsilon_{r}##, what fraction ##(t/d)## of the gap is occupied by the dielectric?

(c) Capacitor ##C_2## is again charged up by a battery of voltage ##V##, and remains connected to it. What force is required to extract the plate of dielectric from the gap? Give answer in terms of ##V## and ##x_1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Charge on capacitor ##C_1## is ##Q=CV=120 \mu C##, and charge on capacitor ##C_2## is ##Q=CV=180 \mu C##

Now the arrangement of the capacitors in the series circuit is as follows:

Untitled.jpg

Therefore, after redistribution of charges among plates ##D## and ##A##, an excess negative charge of ##60 \mu C## will remain on the wire connecting plates ##D## and ##A##. Therefore, the charge on plate ##D## is ##-30 \mu C##.

Am I correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:

Homework Statement

A ##12 \mu F## capacitor ##C_{1}## consists of plates ##A## and ##B##. An ##18 \mu F## capacitor ##C_{2}## consists of plates ##C## and ##D##.

(a) Each are charged up by a ##10 V## battery such that plates ##A## and ##C## are positively charged. They are disconnected from the battery and connected into a series circuit with plate ##A## connected to plate ##D## and plate ##B## connected to plate ##C##, and the system allowed to come to equilibrium. What charge is now on plate ##D##?

(b) Both capacitors ##C_{1}## and ##C_{2}## have square plates of side ##x_{1}## cm and plate separation ##d## cm. The difference is that ##C_1## has only air between its plates, but ##C_2## also has a square plate of dielectric of side ##x_1##, relative permittivity ##\epsilon_{r}## and thickness ##t##. In terms of ##\epsilon_{r}##, what fraction ##(t/d)## of the gap is occupied by the dielectric?

(c) Capacitor ##C_2## is again charged up by a battery of voltage ##V##, and remains connected to it. What force is required to extract the plate of dielectric from the gap? Give answer in terms of ##V## and ##x_1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Charge on capacitor ##C_1## is ##Q=CV=120 \mu C##, and charge on capacitor ##C_2## is ##Q=CV=180 \mu C##

Now the arrangement of the capacitors in the series circuit is as follows:

Untitled.jpg

Therefore, after redistribution of charges among plates ##D## and ##A##, an excess negative charge of ##60 \mu C## will remain on the wire connecting plates ##D## and ##A##. Therefore, the charge on plate ##D## is ##-30 \mu C##.

Am I correct so far?

I haven't worked out the answer, but how do you know that the negative charge splits evenly between plates [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex]?

Oh wait! The voltage across the two capacitors must be the same in magnitude, so the charge of ##-60 \mu C## must divide between plates ##A## and ##D## in the ratio of their capacitances.

##C_{1}:C_{2} = 2:3##, so charge on plate ##D = -36 \mu C##, and charge on plate ##A = -24 \mu C##.

Am I correct so far?

failexam said:
Oh wait! The voltage across the two capacitors must be the same in magnitude, so the charge of ##-60 \mu C## must divide between plates ##A## and ##D## in the ratio of their capacitances.

##C_{1}:C_{2} = 2:3##, so charge on plate ##D = -36 \mu C##, and charge on plate ##A = -24 \mu C##.

Am I correct so far?

I think that's right.

Ok, but I am confused about one aspect of my solution.

The voltage drop across capacitor ##CD## going from ##C## to ##D## must be equal to the voltage drop across capacitor ##BA## going from ##B## to ##A##. Also, plate ##C## is at a higher potential than plate ##D##. Doesn't that mean that plate ##B## must be at a higher potential than plate ##A##?

failexam said:
Ok, but I am confused about one aspect of my solution.

The voltage drop across capacitor ##CD## going from ##C## to ##D## must be equal to the voltage drop across capacitor ##BA## going from ##B## to ##A##. Also, plate ##C## is at a higher potential than plate ##D##. Doesn't that mean that plate ##B## must be at a higher potential than plate ##A##?

Yes. Any two points connected by a conductor (no resistance) are at the same potential, so B&C are the same potential, and A&D are at the same potential.

In that case, isn't plate ##A## positively charged before it was connected to the capacitor ##CD##, but afterwards, plate ##A## became negatively charged due to distribution of charge between the plates ##A## and ##D##?

And similarly, isn't plate ##B## negatively charged before it was connected to the capacitor ##CD##, but afterwards, plate ##B## became positively charged due to distribution of charge between the plates ##B## and ##C##?

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a passive electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

How does a capacitor store charge?

A capacitor stores charge by accumulating opposite charges on its two plates. When a voltage is applied, electrons from one plate are attracted to the other, creating an electric field between the plates. The greater the surface area of the plates and the closer they are together, the more charge the capacitor can store.

What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that is placed between the plates of a capacitor. It helps to increase the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field strength between the plates. Common dielectric materials include air, paper, and various types of plastics.

How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge on one plate, and V is the voltage across the capacitor. Capacitance can also be calculated by multiplying the permittivity of the dielectric material by the area of the plates and dividing by the distance between them.

What is dielectric extraction and how is it calculated?

Dielectric extraction is the process of removing a dielectric material from between the plates of a capacitor. This can be done by applying a high voltage, which will cause the dielectric to break down and conduct electricity. The amount of energy required for this breakdown can be calculated using the formula W = 1/2CV^2, where W is the energy, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.