1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor and Variable resistor

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    A controller on an electronic arcade game consists of a variable resistor connected across the plates of a [tex]0.220\mu F[/tex] capacitor. The capacitor is charged to [tex]5.00V[/tex], then discharged through the resistor. The time for the potential difference across the plates to decrease to [tex]0.800V[/tex] is measured by a clock inside the game. If the range of discharge times that can be handled effectivly is from [tex]10.0\mu s[/tex] to [tex]6.00ms[/tex], what should be the resistance range of the resistor?

I have solved the problem and I get a maximum resistance of [tex]27272.7\Omega[/tex] and a minimum resistance of [tex]45.45\Omega[/tex].
    But these values seem a bit too large.

The way I did it:
    [tex]I = q/t[/tex]
    [tex]q = CV[/tex]
    so [tex] I = CV/t[/tex]
    and [tex]R = V/I[/tex]

and solved it for all 4 cases:
    (max voltage, largest discharge time)
    (max voltage, smallest discharge time)
    (min voltage, largest discharge time)
    (min voltage, smallest discharge time)

An found there are two different values for the resistor:
    [tex]27272.7\Omega[/tex] and [tex]45.45\Omega[/tex].

Does anyone know if there is anything I have done wrong?
    Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2
    I think you can use the formula:
    [tex]V=V_{0}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}[/tex]

4. Apr 19, 2005 #3
    I tried it using your formula and I get 24.8 ohms and 14882 ohms.
    This is roughly half of what I got before.
    Any ideas?

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
    the way it is worded, cartoon kid is correct.

jw, but what was your reasoning behind this?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  6. Apr 19, 2005 #5
    In a RC circuit, when a capacitor is discharging, the charges, current and voltage across the capacitor are decreasing exponentially. It's a continuous process. The bigger the R, the slower the discharing process.

7. Apr 19, 2005 #6
    well I wasnt sure what the relationships were all about so I just decided to try all possible cases and see what I came up with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?