Capacitor Bank

• Thread starter JohnnyLaw
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I've been interested in building a capacitor bank (a very small one for a simple 9V battery) but I'm not really sure how I should go about doing this. I've researched into other ways and found this would be the most efficient.

I was going to try this the bank absorb as much power as it can in as little time as possible, any recommendations on how I could go about doing this?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I've been interested in building a capacitor bank (a very small one for a simple 9V battery) but I'm not really sure how I should go about doing this. I've researched into other ways and found this would be the most efficient.

I was going to try this the bank absorb as much power as it can in as little time as possible, any recommendations on how I could go about doing this?
Welcome to the PF.

There are some related threads shown at the bottom of this page. You might browse through them to see if they address your questions.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Generally the advantage of a capacitor bank is that you can absorb lots of power over a long long time and then release it in a very very short time. Not sure what you are thinking of in terms of 'as little time as possible'.

Hmm, well I'm looking to have it absorb and discharge within a few minutes. So I'm assuming the cap bank isn't the best idea?

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You will need to supply more information on how much energy is involved.

I sent you my calculations, it's frustrating trying to solve a problem when you know there is so many better options out there. Thank you for your help, Nova & Berk. I really do appreciate it.

Also, do you think a Super capacitor would be more suitable for my experiment?

Last edited: