Capacitor Basics: How Voltage Suppliers Impact Charging

In summary: Yes, the capacitors will charge as long as there is a voltage source supplying electrons to the circuit. If you remove one of the voltage sources, the capacitor will no longer be able to charge.
smyth
Hi guys,
can you please explain me what happens in the circuit I've attached? It looks easy but still puzzles me. I mean if one voltage supplier was missing i know that the two capacitors are connected in series, and they will charge. Having two voltage suppliers do the capacitors still charge? how?
Please consider:
case 1: E1=E2
case 2 E1>E2
http://i45.tinypic.com/10h7lap.jpg
10h7lap.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A practical circuit should show some series resistance, as well, even if it is small.

KVL applies, so the sum of the voltages around the loop=0. If the capacitors are initially uncharged, explain what happens.

it's not intended to be practical, i just want to understand how it woks/eliminate bugs i have in understanding electricity. The capacitors are initially uncharged.
Like i said, if the circuit would have had only one voltage supplier, I'm pretty sure the answer is that there will be a current until the capacitors charge completely , and then the flow stops . The same happens here? the + of a voltage source and the - of another one can charge a capacitor? if i were to measure the voltage across one capacitor how much it will be?

applying KVL ... well that would be easy if instead of capacitors there will be resistors. voltage drops across the resistances must equal the sum of the two sources (according to the signs on the circuit). but here there are only capacitors, so i guess (concluding that they charge up) we can consider them, when fully charged, as just another sources with opposite polarization, so that the sum of all is 0, and if the C1=C2 , the voltage across the capacitors would be (E1+E2)/2

symth,

can you please explain me what happens in the circuit I've attached?

Yes.

It looks easy but still puzzles me.

It is easy. Why does it puzzle you?

I mean if one voltage supplier was missing i know that the two capacitors are connected in series, and they will charge.

The capacitors are in series no matter how many voltage sources there are, or what the value of each source is. Since the voltages are connected in series, the total voltage is the sum of each voltage source value.

Capacitors do not charge. The net charge of a capacitor is zero whether there is zero volts across the plate or X number of volts across the plates. That is because for every electron pushed on one plate, another electron is pulled from the other plate for a net charge change of zero. The imbalance of electrons between the plates causes a voltage to form, which stores electrical energy in an electrostatic field. Therefore, a capacitor becomes energized, not charged.

Please consider:
case 1: E1=E2
case 2 E1>E2

The total voltage available to energize the caps is the sum of the voltage sources, no matter what the values are in relation to each other.

i just want to understand how it woks/eliminate bugs i have in understanding electricity.

A noble goal. Another goal would be to to work on your capitalization.

The capacitors are initially uncharged.

OK, no initial charge imbalance? At the end of the transient time, each capacitor in series will have the same charge imbalance.

Like i said, if the circuit would have had only one voltage supplier, I'm pretty sure the answer is that there will be a current until the capacitors charge completely , and then the flow stops . The same happens here? the + of a voltage source and the - of another one can charge a capacitor? if i were to measure the voltage across one capacitor how much it will be?

Yes, the two voltages sources in series act as one voltage source, just like a connecting batteries in series. Both voltage sources are in the same current loop.

The total voltage is Et, and the total capacitance in series is Ct. The voltage across each cap after the transient period will be Et*Ct/C1 and Et*Ct/C2 .

Ratch

Thanks a lot Ratch,

and to briefly answer your observations/questions:

It is easy. Why does it puzzle you?

Because i don't handle electronics to well, and there are a lot of misunderstandings in my head (as you pointed out in the reply).

A noble goal. Another goal would be to to work on your capitalization.

:), sorry for that. I'll try to use it right, and also skip unnecessary information.

One more question.
If we eliminate one of the capacitors, leaving the loop interrupted, will the remaining capacitor energize?

smyth said:
it's not intended to be practical, i just want to understand how it woks/eliminate bugs i have in understanding electricity. The capacitors are initially uncharged.
Without resistance, you have to say the capacitors charge instantly by an infinitely large pulse of current, which immediately ceases. After this, the capacitors are left charged such that the sum of their voltages equals the sum of the voltage sources. Since they are in series, equal charge is added to each (identical currents for identical times).

If there is not a complete circuit for current to flow, then no current will flow, and no charge will be added to either capacitor.

Last edited:
smyth,

Of course. Anytime you put voltage across a cap, it will energize and store electrical energy.

Ratch

Edit: Sorry I did not read your word "interrupted" correctly. The circuit has to be complete before the cap can energize.

Last edited:
All you can say, definitely about your circuit is that the PDs across the voltage sources will be E1 and E2. If your capacitors are ideal then the PD across C1 could be anything (they could have been charged to 1kV prior to being connected) but the PDs on C2 would end up just E1 + E2 greater (or less - according to the sign of the 1kV)

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of an electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate accumulates a positive charge while the other accumulates a negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

2. How does the voltage supplier impact the charging of a capacitor?

The voltage supplier is responsible for providing the initial voltage to charge the capacitor. The higher the voltage supplied, the faster the capacitor will charge. However, it is important to note that the voltage supplier must be able to handle the same voltage as the capacitor, otherwise it may cause damage to the circuit.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and capacitance?

The capacitance of a capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage supplied. This means that as the voltage increases, the capacitance also increases. This relationship is described by the equation C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge, and V is the voltage.

4. Can a capacitor store an infinite amount of charge?

No, a capacitor has a limited capacity for storing charge. This is determined by its capacitance, which is a characteristic of the capacitor's design. Once the capacitor reaches its maximum capacity, it cannot store any more charge and will either stop charging or discharge.

5. How does the dielectric material impact the charging of a capacitor?

The dielectric material between the two plates of a capacitor plays a crucial role in its charging. It determines the amount of charge that can be stored and the voltage rating of the capacitor. Different dielectric materials have different properties, such as permittivity and breakdown voltage, which affect the performance of the capacitor.