Building a Capacitor: Plate Separation & Dielectrics

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to build a capacitor using foil and various dielectric materials. The speaker has achieved a low capacitance and wonders if decreasing the plate separation will result in a closer potential difference to that of the battery used to charge the capacitor. The viability of saran wrap as a dielectric is also questioned. Safety precautions are advised when experimenting with building capacitors. The issue of leakage and the formula for capacitance are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to wait a few minutes and check the voltmeter reading in a dry atmosphere to gauge the capacitor's charge storage.
Sefrez
I have been taking some foil and various "dielectrics" in attempt to build a capacitor. The best I have done so far is an extremely low capacitance (potential difference drops fast even on reading voltage with great resistance) where I will get about 3v for a few milliseconds after having charged with a 19 v battery pack.

Really though, no matter the capacitance, I should be able to get the same potential difference.

I am thinking this is not the case because the plate separation to plate area ratio is too large. If I were to decrease the distance, would I then be able to get a closer potential difference to that of the supplier (battery)? Or that is; does the potential -> battery potential as separation distance -> 0?

Also, would saran rap be a good or bad dialectic material considering it stores charge quite well?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how saran wrap would be as a dielectric, but certainly the closer you can get the plates without dielectric breakdown, the more capacitance you will have.

If you are getting less charge than your source voltage, pretty much regardless of the size of the capacitor, I suspect a leak or an impedance connection of some kind.

Have you looked up the formula for the capacity of a basic parallel plate capacitor? Any answer you get from applying the formula will tend to be over-optimistic because of irregularities in your assembly - making the spacing more than you hoped. What capacity are you aiming for?

Any capacitor you may make will probably be huge (physically), compared with one you can buy. These days the capacitors are harder to get inside and study, without destroying the structure but it may be worth while 'getting at' one with a scalpel to see how it's made.

My advice is be VERY careful when doing such things as building capacitors (I would actually recommend not doing it). I speak from experience; when I was about 14 years old I tried to build a capacitor with foil and a plastic tube. It ended up with a small explosion and blown fuses (stupid me :uhh:), and my daddy got very angry... nothing worse happened though.

But if you insist on experimenting with this, my firm advice is to use safety goggles and keep water close by to extinguish any possible fire.

Last edited:
Sefrez said:
I have been taking some foil and various "dielectrics" in attempt to build a capacitor. The best I have done so far is an extremely low capacitance (potential difference drops fast even on reading voltage with great resistance) where I will get about 3v for a few milliseconds after having charged with a 19 v battery pack.
The current drawn by your voltmeter is discharging the capacitor. To gauge how well your capacitor is storing charge, wait for 2 mins and then connect your voltmeter--does it give much the same reading as when you connect it immediately after charging the capacitor? You need to do this in a very dry atmosphere, otherwise charge leaks away through humidity. Frosty winter's days with clear skies are usually of low humidity.
Also, would saran rap be a good or bad dialectic material considering it stores charge quite well?
I don't know.

phinds said:
I don't know how saran wrap would be as a dielectric, but certainly the closer you can get the plates without dielectric breakdown, the more capacitance you will have.

If you are getting less charge than your source voltage, pretty much regardless of the size of the capacitor, I suspect a leak or an impedance connection of some kind.

Yeah, I wonder about this leakage.

sophiecentaur said:
Have you looked up the formula for the capacity of a basic parallel plate capacitor? Any answer you get from applying the formula will tend to be over-optimistic because of irregularities in your assembly - making the spacing more than you hoped. What capacity are you aiming for?

Any capacitor you may make will probably be huge (physically), compared with one you can buy. These days the capacitors are harder to get inside and study, without destroying the structure but it may be worth while 'getting at' one with a scalpel to see how it's made.

Yes, though I have not attempted to derive a formula for the capacitance for plates being rolled up in tube form. Does this rolling up increase capacitance given a finite sheet size and separation? My original guess was yes, but I am unsure now thinking about it. That is, the E fields should be only between the plates so any wrap around would have no reinforcement of charge - just makes the capacitor more compact. But given some finite plate separation other than zero would mean then that the E fields would slightly diverge radially to the outer plate. So I really don't know. Nonetheless, it is not so much capacitance that I am trying to get, but rather a potential difference reading over the plates "equal" to the potential put over it to charge it.

DennisN said:
My advice is be VERY careful when doing such things as building capacitors (I would actually recommend not doing it). I speak from experience; when I was about 14 years old I tried to build a capacitor with foil and a plastic tube. It ended up with a small explosion and blown fuses (stupid me :uhh:), and my daddy got very angry... nothing worse happened though.

But if you insist on experimenting with this, my firm advice is to use safety goggles and keep water close by to extinguish any possible fire.

Yeah, I usually wear safety glasses. I am not too worried about my pathetic capacitors doing too much, but nevertheless, I will try to keep it safe.

NascentOxygen said:
The current drawn by your voltmeter is discharging the capacitor. To gauge how well your capacitor is storing charge, wait for 2 mins and then connect your voltmeter--does it give much the same reading as when you connect it immediately after charging the capacitor? You need to do this in a very dry atmosphere, otherwise charge leaks away through humidity. Frosty winter's days with clear skies are usually of low humidity.

This was one of my theories. I may simply need to increase the capacitance before I can measure such a potential difference. I tried also charging the capacitor while the voltmeter was connected and as soon as I disconnected the battery, it dropped. Well, maybe a bit slower than without the capacitor in parallel.

Ill try seeing how well it stores charge. Though I imagine it is a bit humid right now. This winter has been pathetic were I live lol.

If you are using two flat sheets of foil and one of plastic film, then rolling into a tight cylinder will more than double the capacitance. You are squeezing the air out so reducing the spacing, and now making use of both sides of the metal foil.

Sefrez said:
Yeah, I wonder about this leakage.
Yes, though I have not attempted to derive a formula for the capacitance for plates being rolled up in tube form. Does this rolling up increase capacitance given a finite sheet size and separation? My original guess was yes, but I am unsure now thinking about it. That is, the E fields should be only between the plates so any wrap around would have no reinforcement of charge - just makes the capacitor more compact. But given some finite plate separation other than zero would mean then that the E fields would slightly diverge radially to the outer plate. So I really don't know. Nonetheless, it is not so much capacitance that I am trying to get, but rather a potential difference reading over the plates "equal" to the potential put over it to charge it.
Yeah, I usually wear safety glasses. I am not too worried about my pathetic capacitors doing too much, but nevertheless, I will try to keep it safe.
This was one of my theories. I may simply need to increase the capacitance before I can measure such a potential difference. I tried also charging the capacitor while the voltmeter was connected and as soon as I disconnected the battery, it dropped. Well, maybe a bit slower than without the capacitor in parallel.

Ill try seeing how well it stores charge. Though I imagine it is a bit humid right now. This winter has been pathetic were I live lol.

You really should be doing a rough calculation of capacity (same as for a parallel plate capacitor - just twice the value because both sides of the foil count). To find the thickness of the dielectric, measure the thickness of ten or more sheets and find the mean (better for accuracy). Don't forget to convert your dimensions to metres.There is no point in using high volts for this, initially. You can't hurt yourself if you only use an AA cell to charge it with for a start and you should still be able to record a constant voltage over time - dabbing the meter on at the end and watching the volts drop noticeably slower than without the C.
The time constant (time to 1/e of starting value) will be RC so, if you manage to produce 0.1μF and the meter has a resistance of 10MΩ, the decay time would be more than a second. I should imagine your C will be quite a bit less than that, though (which is why you need to calculate what you expect) and the decay will be quite a bit faster. If you can set your multimeter to non-auto ranging, the display will be a lot less confusing.
Good luck and use a hair dryer to keep the air nice and dry around your C whilst you are building it.

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by a non-conductive material, known as a dielectric.

What is the purpose of plate separation in a capacitor?

The purpose of plate separation in a capacitor is to increase the capacitance, or the ability to store charge. The larger the distance between the plates, the greater the capacitance will be.

What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a non-conductive material that is placed between the two plates of a capacitor. It serves to increase the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates.

How does the dielectric material affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The dielectric material affects the capacitance of a capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates. This allows for a greater accumulation of charge on the plates, resulting in a higher capacitance.

What factors should be considered when selecting a dielectric material for a capacitor?

The factors that should be considered when selecting a dielectric material for a capacitor include its dielectric constant, breakdown voltage, temperature stability, and cost. These properties will determine the overall performance and reliability of the capacitor.