How to safely charge and discharge a capacitor in a camera?

• Thread starter GiTS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation discusses charging a 330v 150uF capacitor from a 9 volt battery and the precautions needed to do so safely. It also mentions the circuitry in a camera that elevates the battery voltage to charge the capacitor and the dangers of working with high voltage.
GiTS
I have a capacitor from a camera. It is rated at 330v 150uF. I want to charge this capacitor with a 9volt battery. It would be preferable if I could leave the battery attached to the circuit until the cap is discharged. I want as much power to flow out during discharge as the cap can handle.
What value of resistor for charging is safe but provides for a quick charge?
Is it OK to leave the battery attached to the cap for longer than is needed to charge?
How much resistance should be in the circuit during discharge to prevent damage to the cap?

Thank you,
-GiTS

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you charge this capacitor directly from a 9 volt battery, it will only charge to 9 volts.

150 uF is not a very big capacitor so if you shorted it out after charging, you would just get a small spark.

The discharge current depends on the internal resistance of the capacitor as well as the resistance in the discharge path.

It is OK to leave the capacitor across the 9 V battery, but shorting the capacitor while the battery was there would also short the battery and this may reduce the life of the battery if it persisted for more than a second or so.

That raises a few questions.
1. Why was a 330v capacitor in a camera with a 12v battery?
2. That cap makes a flash go off, are there other parts helping out the flash?
3. I want to launch my estes with this cap, will it be enough to power an estes ignition?

There's a circuit in the camera that elevates the battery voltage to maybe 300 volts to charge the capacitor.

Antiphon said:
There's a circuit in the camera that elevates the battery voltage to maybe 300 volts to charge the capacitor.

Yes, you need the entire camera flash circuitry. It has a DC/AC converter, a step-up transformer, and a rectifier which turns the AC 300V back into DC to charge the capacitor.

DANGER, BE WARNED. The capacitor voltage is lethal. It's more unsafe than playing around with 120VAC line voltages. You can zap yourself very badly, and perhaps trigger some lethal heart fibrillation.

You can get the strobe charger circuitry out of a cheap disposable camera. ALso I think these entire devices are commonly sold by surplus mail-order. But DON'T mess with these unless you already know how to use high voltage without killing yourself.

1. What is a capacitor charge/discharge cycle?

A capacitor charge/discharge cycle is the process by which a capacitor stores and releases electrical energy. When a capacitor is connected to a power source, it charges up and stores energy in the form of an electric field between its two plates. When the power source is disconnected, the capacitor discharges and releases the stored energy.

2. How does a capacitor charge/discharge affect circuit behavior?

A capacitor charge/discharge can have a significant impact on circuit behavior. During the charging phase, the capacitor acts as a temporary power source, supplying a surge of current to the circuit. This can help stabilize voltage levels and filter out unwanted noise. During the discharge phase, the capacitor releases stored energy, which can help maintain voltage levels and provide a steady current flow.

3. What factors affect the speed of capacitor charge/discharge?

The speed of capacitor charge/discharge is influenced by several factors, including the capacitance of the capacitor (measured in farads), the voltage of the power source, and the resistance of the circuit. Generally, a higher capacitance and voltage will result in a faster charge/discharge, while a higher resistance will slow down the process.

4. Can a capacitor charge/discharge indefinitely?

No, a capacitor cannot charge/discharge indefinitely. The charge/discharge cycle will eventually reach a point of equilibrium where the capacitor can no longer store or release energy. This is known as the maximum charge/discharge voltage, and it depends on the capacitance and voltage of the capacitor.

5. How can I calculate the charge/discharge time of a capacitor?

The charge/discharge time of a capacitor can be calculated using the RC time constant formula: t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. For example, if a capacitor with a capacitance of 10 microfarads is connected to a circuit with a resistance of 100 ohms, the charge/discharge time would be 1 millisecond (0.001 seconds).