Capacitor Charging: Is There Something Wrong with the Analysis?

In summary: Energy stored on a capacitor is 0.5*C*(voltage)^2. So the energy increase for capacitor is 0.5*C in 1) and 1.5*C = 0.5*C*(2^2-1) in 2)
seahs
Consider the two scenarios below:
1) charging a capacitor from 0v to 1v
2) charging a capacitor from 1v to 2v

energy stored on a capacitor is 0.5*C*(voltage)^2. So the energy increase for capacitor is 0.5*C in 1) and 1.5*C = 0.5*C*(2^2-1) in 2)

Assume the ohmic loss are both 0.5*C since the voltage differences in both cases are the same.

The energy consumption should be C in 1) and 2*C in 2)

However, I'ave done the simulation and the energy consumption seem to be the same :confused:

Is there something wrong with the analysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes this is wrong.
The energy increase in case 2 is 0.5*C*(2-1)^2 and not 0.5*C*(2^2-1).

As per your simulation, energy consumption is same.

n.karthick said:
Yes this is wrong.
The energy increase in case 2 is 0.5*C*(2-1)^2 and not 0.5*C*(2^2-1).

As per your simulation, energy consumption is same.

The initial energy is 0.5*C
The final energy is 2*C = 0.5*C*2^2

Why the energy increase is 0.5*C*(2-1)^2?

seahs said:
Why the energy increase is 0.5*C*(2-1)^2?

Sorry, I was wrong :frown:

Energy increase=final energy - initial energy
= 2C - 0.5C
= 1.5 C
and not 0.5 C as I mentioned earlier.

seahs said:
Consider the two scenarios below:
1) charging a capacitor from 0v to 1v
2) charging a capacitor from 1v to 2v

energy stored on a capacitor is 0.5*C*(voltage)^2. So the energy increase for capacitor is 0.5*C in 1) and 1.5*C = 0.5*C*(2^2-1) in 2)

Assume the ohmic loss are both 0.5*C since the voltage differences in both cases are the same.

The energy consumption should be C in 1) and 2*C in 2)

However, I'ave done the simulation and the energy consumption seem to be the same :confused:

Is there something wrong with the analysis?

You're talking about ohmic loss, but a capacitor will have no ohmic loss.

I suppose you charged your capacitor through a resistor in your simulation. The ohmic loss in the resistor R is equal to QR, where Q is the charge of the capacitor. Q is equal to CV, so the ohmic loss (electric engergy converted to heat) in the resistor is indeed proportional to the voltage, and the ohmic loss in your 2 scenarios will be equal.

It takes the same energy to increase the voltage, that is further charge a capacitor, in anyone volt increment...so the work is the same in going from 0 to 1 volt as from 100 to 101 volts.

W = 1/2cv2 where v is the potential difference across the plates...

A way to think about this is that the charge increase is q = (it)...= CV...

so for a fixed difference in voltage (V) you have to push the same amount of charge to the plates...do the same amount of work...

willem2 said:
You're talking about ohmic loss, but a capacitor will have no ohmic loss.

I suppose you charged your capacitor through a resistor in your simulation. The ohmic loss in the resistor R is equal to QR, where Q is the charge of the capacitor. Q is equal to CV, so the ohmic loss (electric engergy converted to heat) in the resistor is indeed proportional to the voltage, and the ohmic loss in your 2 scenarios will be equal.

ohmic loss = QR = i*t*R = V*t?

Naty1 said:
It takes the same energy to increase the voltage, that is further charge a capacitor, in anyone volt increment...so the work is the same in going from 0 to 1 volt as from 100 to 101 volts.

W = 1/2cv2 where v is the potential difference across the plates...

A way to think about this is that the charge increase is q = (it)...= CV...

so for a fixed difference in voltage (V) you have to push the same amount of charge to the plates...do the same amount of work...

I thought stored energy E = 1/2cv2 instead of work W = 1/2cv2

seahs said:
ohmic loss = QR = i*t*R = V*t?

If you use a resistor R in series with a capacitor C, and a voltage source V, it will take twice as long to charge to a certain voltage if you double C, because

the voltage across the capacitor is [tex] V e ^ {\frac { -t } {R C} [/tex]

And the energy loss in the resistor is twice as big.

I thought stored energy E = 1/2cv2 instead of work W = 1/2cv2

it is not "instead of"...they are the same thing...both are correct...you should be aware that when a capacitor is charged the WORK done in moving charge onto the plates IS the change in potential also referred to as a change in potential energy and the symbol U [for potential energy] (as distinguished from kinetic energy) may also be used.

Suggest you carefully reread my prior post; moving electrons around, in this case onto the plates of a capacitor requires WORK...those electrons do not collect on the plates with their electrical repulsion voluntarily...they must be pushed...

It takes a while to get a feel for this stuff as you learn about it...

Last edited:
Post #9 reflects a confusing perspective...at least to me...much too complicated...

q = CV, so it you double the capacitance (C) then of course it holds double the charge (q) at some voltage V...and will actually take twice as long to charge whether or not there is an external resistor...because you have to push double the number of electrons onto the negative plate.

A capacitor does have ohmic loss, but it is so small we assume an "ideal" capacitor, that is a circuit element with ONLY capacitance...To say a capacitor has no ohmic loss is like saying a capactor has no inductive loss..it does, but we can neglect that tiny loss because it is negligible in comparison to the impedance of the capacitance...

1. How does a capacitor charge?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, it begins to charge as the power source supplies electrons to one of its plates. These electrons build up on the plate, creating a negative charge. In response, the other plate becomes positively charged. This process continues until the capacitor is fully charged and the potential difference between the plates is equal to the voltage of the power source.

2. What is the analysis of capacitor charging?

The analysis of capacitor charging involves calculating the voltage and current at different points during the charging process. This includes taking into account the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance of the circuit, and the voltage of the power source. It also involves understanding the relationship between voltage, current, and time during charging.

3. Is there something wrong with the analysis of capacitor charging?

There is not necessarily something wrong with the analysis of capacitor charging, but there are some common misconceptions and oversimplifications that can lead to inaccurate results. For example, assuming that the capacitor charges instantaneously or neglecting the effects of resistance in the circuit can lead to incorrect calculations.

4. How can I ensure accurate analysis of capacitor charging?

To ensure accurate analysis of capacitor charging, it is important to understand the underlying principles and equations involved. This includes properly accounting for the capacitance, resistance, and voltage in the circuit, as well as considering the time it takes for the capacitor to charge fully. It is also helpful to use simulation software or experimental data to verify the analysis.

5. What are some real-world applications of capacitor charging?

Capacitor charging has a variety of real-world applications, including in electronic circuits, power supplies, and energy storage devices. In electronic circuits, capacitors can be used to filter out unwanted noise or to store energy for later use. In power supplies, capacitors are often used to smooth out fluctuations in voltage. In energy storage devices, such as electric vehicles or renewable energy systems, capacitors can be used to store and release energy quickly and efficiently.