Solve Capacitor Circuit: Calculate ε for C1, C2, C3, C4 & C5

So, we have:256nJ = (1/2) (72nF) V^2V = 18.7V, by my calculation. I'll leave it to you to figure out \epsilon.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with several capacitors and the calculation of energy stored in one of the capacitors (C5). The given equations for calculating energy and charge are mentioned, and the attempt at a solution includes combining some of the capacitors and using the equations to find the voltage. The final answer for the voltage is 18.7V, and the calculation for \epsilon is left to the reader.
unhip_crayon

Homework Statement

In the circuit, C1 = 18.0 nF, C2 = 6.00 nF, C3 = 24.0 nF, C4 = 12.0 nF and
C5 = 72.0 nF. The energy stored in C5 is 256. nJ.
Calculate [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

http://answerboard.cramster.com/answer-board/image/ea6f47d9fdca7dada7592281cfa85c4a.jpg

Homework Equations

q=cv

The Attempt at a Solution

C12=24nF
C34=36nF
C125=18nF
C12345=12nF

q5=q12=q34=(C34)(V34)

V24=5/36

V24=0.1389

lol i donno...can someone help me out. I don't understand this. I know q's are equal in series and V's are equal in parallel but then i get stuck. Please help

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did well to combine C1&C2, and C3&C4. I think I would not further combine the capacitors, given the specific information given about C5.

Also, here's another relevant equation:
(Energy stored) = (1/2) C V^2

1. What is a capacitor circuit?

A capacitor circuit is a circuit that contains one or more capacitors, which are electronic components that store electrical charge. These circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to regulate and store electrical energy.

2. How do you calculate ε for capacitors in a circuit?

To calculate ε (epsilon) for a capacitor, you need to use the formula ε = Q/V, where Q is the charge stored in the capacitor and V is the voltage across the capacitor. To calculate Q, you can use the formula Q = CV, where C is the capacitance (in Farads) and V is the voltage. You can then plug in the values for Q and V into the first formula to calculate ε.

3. What are C1, C2, C3, C4, and C5 in a capacitor circuit?

C1, C2, C3, C4, and C5 are all different capacitors in the circuit. The number after the letter C indicates the specific capacitor, and each one may have a different capacitance value. These capacitors are typically labeled on the circuit diagram and can also be physically identified by their size and shape.

4. How do you determine the capacitance of a capacitor in a circuit?

The capacitance of a capacitor in a circuit can be determined by measuring the charge stored in the capacitor and the voltage across it. You can then use the formula C = Q/V to calculate the capacitance. Alternatively, you can refer to the capacitor's specifications or markings to determine its capacitance value.

5. What factors can affect the capacitance of a capacitor in a circuit?

The capacitance of a capacitor in a circuit can be affected by factors such as the distance between the plates of the capacitor, the area of the plates, and the type of material used for the plates. The capacitance can also be affected by the dielectric material between the plates and the voltage applied to the capacitor.