Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor Codes

1. Dec 15, 2014 #1
    I cannot find info on how to read capacitance on all these ceramic capacitors in my lab. I probably have 50 different capacitors but cannot find instructions on how to read most of them, any instructions I find on how to give the multiplier or whatever seems to apply to only a handful. and its' very time consuming and Google is not working well either. The lab at the school I'm at is disorganized beyond belief so I just have 100's of these things laying around...Any help would be appreciated.

Many will have something like this:

10%
    D .01
    Z5P

20%
    D 6800
    Z5P

20%
    .005 K
    Z5P

10%
    D .01
    Z5P

There are also many with this written on one side:
    KCK
    220J
    N750

Z5U
    4700M
    1KV

HliQ
    Z5R
    IKV

E
    K
    X5F

10%
    Z5P

Now I know the percentage should be the tolerance right? How do I assess if it's in pico, nano, micro farads etc?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

This question would have been at home in the general technical section rather than here in the homework section, but I suppose you can be accommodated here :) And you really should have wrapped the posting template around it to post here... just so you know for future posts.

Different manufacturers may use different ways to express the component's characteristics. Try using google images and searching on "ceramic capacitor code". You should see a number of charts and examples to compare with your capacitors.

You might want to have the lab invest in a multimeter that has a capacity/inductance measurement function. They're not that expensive. That way you can at least find the capacitance of a "mystery cap".

4. Jan 3, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

for tolerance, yes and for values usually whole numbers without a suffix pF, uF etc will always be in pF, and decimal point values will always be in uF .... so........

10%
    D .01 = 0.01uF
    Z5P

20%
    D 6800 = 6800pF
    Z5P

20%
    .005 K = 0.005uF
    Z5P

10%
    D .01 = 0.01uF
    Z5P

There are also many with this written on one side:
    KCK
    220J = 220 pF
    N750
    Z5U

4700M = 4700 pF
    1KV

HliQ
    .001 = 0.001 uF
    Z5R
    IKV

E
    .002 = 0.002 uF
    K
    X5F

.0027 = 0.0027 uF
    10%
    Z5P

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook