Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor codes

1. Jul 22, 2017 #1
    I have recently come across a datasheet for a buck converter regulator that uses the terms "c code" and "No." for certain capacitors but when going to the manufacturer datasheets for these capacitors they make no reference to any "c code" or one single number for a capacitor. If anyone could help me understand what these mean and how to find these specific capacitors from the manufacturers capacitor datasheet I would really appreciate it. The image bellow is where I have been reading these terms.

upload_2017-7-23_12-34-40.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 22, 2017 #3
    Thanks I did see this website before however I'm not sure how to relate that to C code or the single digit number. The closest thing to C code was the letter that gives tolerance but it's definitely not that.

5. Jul 22, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have never heard of that C code
    can you please link to the specific datasheet you were looking at so we can see the context
    in which they are referred to

6. Jul 22, 2017 #5

jedishrfu

The title of the chart mentioned surface mount capacitors so the code may be valid for that only.

7. Jul 23, 2017 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I looked up that Sprague 594D series capacitor's datasheet.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/40002/293d.pdf EDIT WRONG LINK
    use

https://www.vishay.com/docs/40006/594d.pdf

They pack a lot of information in them so you have to acquire a knack for reading tech writers' minds...

I think they're using those two characters for case size and termination type.

capacitorcode1.jpg

Perhaps you can study the AVX and KEMET datasheets to support or refute my hypothesis ?

It's curious your source sorts capacitors by inductance.........
    upload_2017-7-23_20-16-44.png

just how credible are those folks ?

old jim

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. Jul 24, 2017 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

9. Jul 24, 2017 #8

berkeman

LOL :smile:

10. Jul 24, 2017 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suspect it just giving you options. For example if the voltage is 7v and you fit a 33u inductor then you fit...

Two capacitors in position C2 if using AVX capacitors or
    One capacitor in position C3 if using Sprague or
    Two capacitors in position C4 if using Kemet.

This might be necessary if the caps are physically a different size and have a different ESR.

But I might be wrong.

11. Jul 24, 2017 #10
    Sorry I should have included the entire datasheet for the buck converter regulator : http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2678.pdf

The datasheet sorts the capacitor selection table by inductance because they are recommending certain capacitor values depending on the inductance you have chosen to place on the output of the circuit.

It would have helped if I had linked the datasheet in the first place but I believe the c codes and number refer to a specific capacitor value as they choose some for part of an example circuit.

Thanks for all the responses though, they are much better ideas than what I had come up with myself haha

12. Jul 27, 2017 #11

rbelli1

Gold Member

If you look at the footnotes for that table you will find the meaning of the numbers.

BoB

13. Jul 27, 2017 #12
    Yeah sorry I discovered I made a mistake and there's actually a table at the beginning of the datasheet that gives the values hahah

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted