Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor control

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    I'm curious to know if there is any way of controlling the amount and rate of discharge from a capacitor, can anyone help me out?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Sure. When you discharge a capacitor, the rate of discharge depends on the resistance of what you discharge it through.
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    RC time constant.... C is fixed, R is dependent on your design.
  5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
    I see, so if i wanted to hook up an ultracapacitor or an aerogel capacitor to a couple of resistors in a simple circuit, i could theoretically slow down the rate of discharge? would i be able to run a small electric motor off of this discharge?
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's see. If the resistance of the motor was about 10 ohms and the capacitor was big, say 6 farad; the time constant (RC) would be 60 seconds.
  7. Sep 23, 2007 #6
    Ok, so what you're saying is in order to increase the amount of time a discharge is happening, i must increase the capacitance and decrease the resistance? When speaking in terms of say, a thousand ultracapacitors within a circuit, would i be able to power a super-efficient electric motor over an extended period of time?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?