1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor dealing with exponential forms, please email me or IM so i know you replied

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    1. A capacitor where C=1X10^-5 F and R= 1X10^6, there's 1000 electrons on the plate at t=0. How would I find the number of protons after 2 seconds?

2. half life= .7Tm, mean life=RC

3. I put the R and C values in to get the mean life and got an answer of 7 seconds, and than to find the halflife, I multiplied the mean life by .7 and got 10 seconds. I just don't know where to go from there though. I know the answer is 820, but I don't know how to get that answer. Is there a formula where I can put in the number of seconds using the mean life and half life to get the answer?
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Use the equation

[tex]Q = CV[/tex]
  4. Dec 10, 2006 #3
    I tried using that formula but what do I insert for V? I put in 2 seconds and it didnt work, i tried working backwards, that didnt work either....what am i doing wrong?
  5. Dec 10, 2006 #4
    V is voltage. Relate voltage to current and then Charge to current, you'll get a differential equation.
  6. Dec 11, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

The capacitor start out with a charge of

[tex]1.60 \times 10^{-16}\ C[/tex]

this means that the initial voltage over the cap will be

[tex]V_o = \frac{1.60 \times 10^{-16}}{C}[/tex]

or rather... the RC discharge equation of the cap

[tex]V = V_o e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}[/tex]

can be rewritten for the decay of the charge on the cap using the relation

[tex]Q = CV[/tex]
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?