Capacitor Design for 2GHz AC Frequency - 800W-kW Power

In summary, this person is looking for a way to generate a lot of power using an AC generator and needs help. They need a microwave oven to do so.
rc88
Hi guys,

I'm a new member of this forum.
As a chemist, I don't have much knowledge of electrical engineering, and that's the reason why I'm here. Hope you guys can help me out.

I'm going to go straight to the point. I need to build a capacitor connected to an AC generator with an AC frequency of around 2 GHz (and more). I also need a power from 800W to a few kW. What do I need in order to do so? Like electronic oscillators or stuff like that? If you need any further information, please just ask.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A few kW at 2Ghz is a tall order. 2GHz is no problem and a few kW is no problem but putting high frequency and that high power together is pretty tough. There isn't going to be any off-the-shelf solution for you. I don't think that high current switches exist that could achieve that speed.

I think you're going to need a very special generator custom made for something like this. It will need lot's of poles, will have to spin very fast, and be very large.

At 2 GHz you're going to have scattering problems. Every wire and connection will have to be scrutinized for reflections or else the power will not be effectively delivered to your capacitor. Pay special attention to the connection of your capacitor. It will have a certain impedance which must be matched to the impedance of the transmission line carrying the signal. There are methods to fix scattering problems but I'm not an expert WAMI guy (Wireless and Microwave).

Cat 5e cable would be a good choice for the transmission line. It has a characteristic impedance of about 100 Ohms. Cat 5 won't be able to handle that much power though.

Is there any way you could scale the power down? It would make it much more feasible. 1 Watt is more realistic. If anyone has a better idea I would be most impressed.

Thanks for your reply okefenokee. Unfortunately, the minimum I can go for is around 800 W, not less than that. I don't know whether all this is feasible or not. Maybe I'm just saying nonsense, but that's what I'd need.

Do not attempt this. This is an extremely unsafe project. Even folks who really know what they are doing take serious precautions.

800W at 2GHz will literally cook you. It will reach out and boil the liquid in your eyeballs within seconds.

Oh man, you just gave me a bad news. But from your reply, I kind of guess this is feasible then?
To be honest, I don't know what would happen if I used a lower AC frequency. It should work anyway but, you know, I'd need to run some experiments before saying that.

Last edited:
Purchase a microwave oven. They are approximately the correct power and frequency.

Thread closed. Dangerous activities are not discussed on the PF.

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, an electric field is created, causing electrons to accumulate on one plate and be depleted on the other. This creates a potential energy difference between the two plates, allowing the capacitor to store charge.

2. Why is capacitor design important for 2GHz AC frequency?

Capacitor design is crucial for 2GHz AC frequency because this frequency is in the microwave range, which is used for high-speed data transmission and communication. As such, the capacitor must be able to handle high-frequency signals without significant losses or distortions. Inadequate capacitor design can lead to signal degradation, resulting in poor performance or failure of the electronic system.

3. How do you choose the right capacitor for 2GHz AC frequency and 800W-kW power?

Choosing the right capacitor for 2GHz AC frequency and 800W-kW power requires understanding the specific requirements of the electronic system. Factors such as capacitance, voltage rating, and frequency response must be considered. It is also important to select a capacitor with low equivalent series resistance (ESR) and equivalent series inductance (ESL) to minimize losses and improve performance.

4. What are some common challenges in capacitor design for high-frequency and high-power applications?

Some common challenges in capacitor design for high-frequency and high-power applications include minimizing parasitic effects, such as ESR and ESL, which can impact the performance of the capacitor. Choosing the right dielectric material and optimizing the capacitor's physical design are also important considerations. Additionally, thermal management is crucial in high-power applications to prevent overheating and potential failure of the capacitor.

5. How can capacitor design impact the overall efficiency of an electronic system?

Capacitor design can significantly impact the efficiency of an electronic system. Inadequate capacitor design can lead to power losses, reduced signal integrity, and increased heat generation, all of which can impact the overall efficiency of the system. Choosing the right capacitor with low ESR and ESL, as well as proper thermal management, can improve the overall efficiency and performance of the system.