1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor discharge

1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    I know that in a parallel connection, two capacitors that are charged and connected across a resistor, the switch is open, the capacitors discharge the same as if there was only one by itself? I need a physical argument as why this is? Any suggestions?

I know that in a series connection, two capacitors that are charged and connected across a resistor, the switch is open, the capacitors discharge slower than if there was only one by itself? I need a physical argument as why this is too? Any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what "discharge the same" means exactly, but it doesn't sound correct.

A capacitor is basically just two metal plates separated by a small distance. Two capacitors wired in parallel are equivalent to one larger capacitor with the combined plate area of the two smaller capacitors. If you have two 1 F capacitors, wiring them in parallel results in a 2 F capacitor. A 1 F capacitor can discharge 1 ampere for 1 second per volt of charge. A 2 F capacitor doubles this to 2 amperes for 1 second per volt of charge. That doesn't sound like "the same" to me.

Two capacitors wired in series, however, results in a smaller capacitance. Why? Because by connecting the positive plate of one to the negative plate on the other, you're forcing both plates to have the same potential. (Every point in a conductor has the same potential.) Wiring them in series essentially eliminates half the plate area, and half the capacitance. If you halve the capacitance, you halve the time to discharge.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?