1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor discharge?

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    capacitor discharge???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.4 uF capacitor, initially uncharged, is connected in series with a 10 k ohms resistor and a 6 V battery of negligible internal resistance.

How long does it take the capacitor to reach 99% of its final charge?

this is part b. i already found out part a which asked What is the charge on the capacitor after a very long time?
    answer to this part was 8.4 uC

2. Relevant equations

for part b i think i will have to use the equation
    Q=Qf(1-e^(-t/T)) where t is time and T is the time constant defined by T= RC

3. The attempt at a solution

i plugged in arbatrary values just to define my 99% i picked 5 but that should not matter

5=4.95(1-e^(-t/(10000*1.4e-6)))
    solve for t
    this will be in seconds i assume and my answer wants it displayed in ms
    i got an answer of around 32 ms but it says im wrong.
    any help would be great!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: capacitor discharge???

First of all, the 5 and 4.95 should be switched around. If 5 is the final charge Qf, then you want to know when Q=4.95. Other than that, your equation is correct.

I get 1 - e^(-0.032/0.014) = 0.898.., not 0.99 as desired. So you probably made an algebra mistake somewhere in getting the 0.032 sec answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook