1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Capacitor edge effect

1. Sep 22, 2016 #1
    Hello, I have been searching for a mathematical analysis regarding the edge effect of a parallel plate capacitor. Could anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

There's a treatment of the semi-infinite case in

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics vol. III.

4. Sep 22, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your response. I can't find that reference in these lectures. Can you help?

5. Sep 23, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well this shows that you didn't consider the really excellent problem set at the end of these books (BTW I think they are masterpieces; concerning classical physics they are among the best sources to learn from, although sometimes they are a bit outdated, e.g., in the use of the "ict convention" for special relativity or in the avoidance of the Dirac ##\delta## distribution (although it was in fact Sommerfeld who invented the concept some decades before Dirac). Anyway, you find the treatment of the edge effect as problem II.4 as an elegant application of conformal mappings for 2D potential theory). Note that all problems have well-worked out solutions!

6. Sep 23, 2016 #5
    Can I please get the link wherein that book/ that question can be found ??

7. Sep 23, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

There is no legal link to that book. It's

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on theoretical physics vol. 3, electrodynamics, Academic Press 1952

8. Sep 23, 2016 #7
    I cannot find that book, anyhow anyway in my library
    Can u please drop in here, the picture of that worked out problem I will be immensely grateful to u for that
    Please !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted