Capacitor efficiency problem

U.In summary, the problem involves a 0.45 µF capacitor charged by a 1.5 V battery and connected to a small electric motor. With 100% efficiency, the motor can lift a 4.7 g mass to a certain height. Using the formula U=\frac{CV^2}{2}, the energy required to lift the mass can be calculated.
map7s

Homework Statement

A 0.45 µF capacitor is charged by a 1.5 V battery. After being charged, the capacitor is connected to a small electric motor. Assuming 100% efficiency, to what height can the motor lift a 4.7 g mass?

Homework Equations

I really need some direction to start off this problem. I think that I probably need to use U=1/2QV=1/2CV^2=Q^2/2C and/or Q=CV but I have no idea how to go about doing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole idea of this problem is that if the efficiency is 100% no energy will be lost. So all http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capeng2.html" [Broken] will be used to lift that mass. Now what would be the energy necessary to lift that mass to a height h?

Last edited by a moderator:
So...would I have to use Q=CV to find out Q and then use U=1/2QV to find out U ?

map7s said:
So...would I have to use Q=CV to find out Q and then use U=1/2QV to find out U ?

You could use any of the 3 formulas you mention, though since you know [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]V[/tex] the fastest would be to use [tex]U=\frac{CV^2}{2}[/tex]

What is a capacitor efficiency problem?

A capacitor efficiency problem occurs when a capacitor is not functioning at its optimal level, leading to a decrease in its ability to store and release electrical energy.

What causes a capacitor efficiency problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to a capacitor efficiency problem, including aging of the capacitor, overloading, high temperatures, and poor quality materials.

How can a capacitor efficiency problem be identified?

A capacitor efficiency problem can be identified through various methods such as measuring the capacitance, checking for physical damage or leakage, and observing changes in the performance of the circuit.

Can a capacitor efficiency problem be fixed?

In some cases, a capacitor efficiency problem can be fixed by replacing the faulty capacitor with a new one. However, if the problem is due to external factors such as high temperatures or overloading, it may be necessary to address those issues as well.

What can be done to prevent a capacitor efficiency problem?

To prevent a capacitor efficiency problem, it is important to use high-quality capacitors and ensure proper installation and maintenance. It is also important to avoid overloading and exposure to extreme temperatures.