Capacitor Energy in an RC Circuit

In summary, current flows from the battery until the capacitor is completely charged. The total energy supplied by the battery is equal to the total energy stored by the capacitor. However, some energy is lost as heat through resistors. Additionally, the energy of the electro-magnetic field is not taken into account.
t_n_p
In an RC circuit, current flows from the battery until the capacitor is completely charged. Is the total energy supplied by the battery equal to the total energy stored by the capacitor? If not, where does the extra energy go?

I'm a total physics newbie, but taking an almost wild guess I think that some of the energy in the wires as heat due to resistance. Can anybody confirm/deny my theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still stuggling to understand.
So U stands for stored energy in the capacitor and U=.5QV

but how can that be used to answer my question?

Last edited:
Hyperphysics said:
Transporting differential charge dq to the plate of the capacitor requires work dU = Vdq. But as the voltage rises toward the battery voltage in the process of storing energy, each successive dq requires more work to force it onto the positive plate.

[...]

Note that the total energy stored QV/2 is exactly half of the energy QV which is supplied by the battery, independent of R!

So the capacitor stores half the energy supplied by the battery, the other half is the work done placing charge on the plates, irrespective of the resistance.

Hmm, then how about the heat released from the resistance?

Weimin said:

Yeah, that's what I am wondering, or is it negligible?

Hootenanny said:
So the capacitor stores half the energy supplied by the battery, the other half is the work done placing charge on the plates, irrespective of the resistance.
Weimin said:
Perhaps it would be better if I put it this was. For any RC circuit with a finite resistance, half the energy supplied by the battery is dissapated as heat through the resistor. This is independant of the value of the resistance.

Hootenanny said:
Perhaps it would be better if I put it this was. For any RC circuit with a finite resistance, half the energy supplied by the battery is dissapated as heat through the resistor. This is independant of the value of the resistance.

So of the energy supplied by a battery, half is stored in the capacitor and half is lost as heat through resistors?

It seems that we have more than two halves:

- half is stored in the capacitor
- half is the work done placing charges on the plate
- half is lost on the resistor

And I also wonder why we did not take into account the energy of the electro-magnetic field: as the charges are gradually filled up the capacitor there is a variable current in the circuit. This induces a variable magnetic field and so on, finally we have emf propagating in the space, meaning that we are losing the energy. I am a bit confused on this.

:bugeye:
Weimin said:
It seems that we have more than two halves:

- half is stored in the capacitor
- half is the work done placing charges on the plate
- half is lost on the resistor

And I also wonder why we did not take into account the energy of the electro-magnetic field: as the charges are gradually filled up the capacitor there is a variable current in the circuit. This induces a variable magnetic field and so on, finally we have emf propagating in the space, meaning that we are losing the energy. I am a bit confused on this.

Way to confuse me...:confused: :bugeye: :confused: :bugeye: :confused:

t_n_p said:
So of the energy supplied by a battery, half is stored in the capacitor and half is lost as heat through resistors?
Correct! This is always the case, irrespective of the values of R or C.

Hootenanny said:
Correct! This is always the case, irrespective of the values of R or C.

Thanks, that's all I was after!

What is a capacitor and how does it store energy?

A capacitor is an electronic component that can store electric charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulator, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This separation of charges creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

How is the energy stored in a capacitor calculated?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2CV², where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts. This formula is derived from the relationship between energy, electric field, and capacitance.

Can a capacitor hold an infinite amount of energy?

No, a capacitor has a maximum energy storage capacity determined by its capacitance and voltage rating. If the voltage exceeds the capacitor's rating, it may fail or even explode. It is important to use capacitors within their specified limits to avoid any potential hazards.

How does the capacitance affect the energy storage of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor directly affects its energy storage capacity. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can hold more charge and therefore store more energy. This is why larger capacitors have a higher energy storage capacity compared to smaller ones.

Can a capacitor release its stored energy?

Yes, a capacitor can release its stored energy when connected to a circuit. This is known as discharging. When a capacitor is discharged, the stored charge flows through the circuit, creating a current. The rate at which a capacitor discharges depends on its capacitance and the resistance of the circuit it is connected to.