Capacitance Change with Gaurd Ring: Help Needed

• Thread starter alienator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
This may seem counterintuitive, but it is due to the effective shielding provided by the guard ring. In summary, the presence of a guard ring surrounding the capacitor plates will help maintain a constant capacitance despite external disturbances. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is due to the effective electrostatic shielding provided by the guard ring.
alienator
am working with annular capacitors

one plate is at +'ve potential , other at -'ve , i have guard ring for both the plates , i have connected the guard ring to ground, capacitance is not varying much cause of external disturbances.

now what happens to the capacitance ? will it increase or decrease
as compared to the capacitance when i didn't have any guard ring

:bugeye:i observed that the capacitance is less when i have the guard ring surrounding capacitance plates .

which i think is counter intuitive as the -ve charge will accumulate on guard ring surrounding +ve plate , and will make the plate more positive for the same supplied potential C=Q/V

:redface:some body please help me out as soon as possible

Physics news on Phys.org
The presence of the guard ring would actually increase the capacitance. This is because the guard ring creates an electrostatic shield around the capacitor plates, which reduces any external disturbances and helps to maintain a constant charge on the plates. Thus, the capacitance will remain relatively constant despite external disturbances.

I would suggest conducting further experiments to determine the exact effect of the guard ring on the capacitance. It is important to control for external disturbances and to ensure that all other variables are kept constant. It is also important to analyze the data carefully and consider any potential errors or limitations in the experiment. It is possible that the guard ring may have a minimal effect on the capacitance, or there may be other factors at play. Further research and experimentation will help to clarify the relationship between the guard ring and capacitance. Additionally, seeking advice and guidance from other experts in the field may also be beneficial in understanding the results.

1. What is capacitance change with guard ring?

Capacitance change with guard ring is a phenomenon in which the presence of a guard ring around a capacitor alters its capacitance value. This can either increase or decrease the overall capacitance depending on the design and placement of the guard ring.

2. How does a guard ring affect capacitance?

A guard ring affects capacitance by creating a more uniform electric field around the capacitor, reducing the influence of external electric fields. This results in a more accurate and stable capacitance value.

3. What is the purpose of using a guard ring in capacitors?

The purpose of using a guard ring in capacitors is to minimize the impact of external electric fields on the capacitance value. This is especially important in high precision applications where even small changes in capacitance can greatly affect the performance of the circuit.

4. How do I determine the optimal placement of a guard ring for my capacitor?

The optimal placement of a guard ring depends on the specific design and application of the capacitor. Generally, it is recommended to place the guard ring as close as possible to the edges of the capacitor, without overlapping with the electrodes. Conducting simulations or experiments can help determine the best placement for a specific capacitor.

5. Can I add a guard ring to an existing capacitor?

In most cases, it is not possible to add a guard ring to an existing capacitor. Guard rings are usually incorporated into the design of the capacitor and cannot be added afterwards. However, some capacitors may have a separate terminal for a guard ring, allowing for the addition of a guard ring during assembly.