Capacitor homework question

In summary, when two capacitors with different voltages are connected, the charge will migrate between them until the potential on both plates are equal. The final charge on each plate can be calculated using the equation Q=CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the potential difference. This can be used to determine the answers to questions about the resulting voltages, charges, and potential energy.
Regtic

Homework Statement

5do5V3Y.png

Homework Equations

C =Q/V
c = capacitence
q = charge
v = potential difference

U = Q2 / 2C
U = potential energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just stuck on b. I tried doing Qeq= √(2UC) then using the fact that q1+q2 = Q which is Qeq since charge should be conserved. Then from the fact that at equilibrium the potentials should be equal, q1[itex]/[/itex]c1 =q2[itex]/[/itex]c2

so

q2 + q2c1[itex]/[/itex]c2 = Qeq

But that didn't work.

Apparently the answer is A) 281mJ B) Q1' = 500[itex]\mu[/itex]C Q2' = 250[itex]\mu[/itex]C C) V1' = V2' = 83.3V D) U' = 31.3mJ

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thing is - some of the charge is negative and some positive.
When the capacitors are joined - they become one equivalent capacitor with a capacitance you know how to find.

Concentrate on what happens to the charge on each plate, individually.
What happens when a positively charged plate is connected to a negatively charged one?

Simon Bridge said:
Thing is - some of the charge is negative and some positive.
When the capacitors are joined - they become one equivalent capacitor with a capacitance you know how to find.

Concentrate on what happens to the charge on each plate, individually.
What happens when a positively charged plate is connected to a negatively charged one?

I would think that the charge on the positively charged plates would flow to the negatively charged plates to decrease their potential until the potential on both plates are even. So

[tex] \frac{Q_1}{C_1 } = \frac {Q_2}{C_2} [/tex]

Don't have Q1 or Q2 though

Last edited:
The voltages start out equal - but opposite.
When the caps are separate, you know the voltage and the capacitance for each one - therefore you know how much charge is on each plate or each capacitor.

If you start out with one conductor with charge +Q1 and another conductor with charge -Q2, then bring the two conductors into contact, what is the final of the combined conductors?

Simon Bridge said:
The voltages start out equal - but opposite.
When the caps are separate, you know the voltage and the capacitance for each one - therefore you know how much charge is on each plate or each capacitor.

If you start out with one conductor with charge +Q1 and another conductor with charge -Q2, then bring the two conductors into contact, what is the final of the combined conductors?

c1v doesn't equal q1 though. they have a different voltage now that we don't know.

The final would be 0 because they are equal... are you trying to say charge isn't conserved because it gets neutralised?

Regtic said:
c1v doesn't equal q1 though. they have a different voltage now that we don't know.

The final would be 0 because they are equal... are you trying to say charge isn't conserved because it gets neutralised?
Of course charge is conserved.

Unless Q1 = Q2, Q1 - Q2 is not zero.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69771&stc=1&d=1400045487.png

Attachments

• 5do5V3Y.png
    5do5V3Y.png
    17 KB · Views: 430
Thank's SammyS.
That is correct, there is no reason to assume that the charge on each plate is the same magnitude.
Before connection: Q1=C1V0, Q2=C2V0, the only way Q1=Q2 is if C1=C2.

After the connection you have an effective capacitance C with a total net charge Q on each plate.
Once you know how much charge is distributed between the capacitors, it remains to work out how it is distributed.

That gives you the answer to (b).

Another approach is to connect the capacitors thru a resistor of any value, then solve for the two voltages for t = infinity. Of course, they will be the same.

So I tried

[tex] (C_1 +C_2)V_o = Q_e[/tex]
since they are both charged by individual batteries before being connected
[tex] \frac {C_1 Q_2} {C_2} = Q_1[/tex]
and
[tex] Q_1 +Q_2 = Q_e[/tex]
so
[tex] \frac {Q_e} {1+ \frac {C_1} {C_2} } = Q_2 [/tex]

That gave me Q2 = 750[itex]\mu[/itex]C which is off from what it should be.

Answer should be Q2 is 250

Last edited:
Regtic said:
So I tried

[tex] \frac {C_1 +C_2} {V_o} = Q_e[/tex]

That is wrong. Q=CV and not C/V.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Regtic said:
I would think that the charge on the positively charged plates would flow to the negatively charged plates to decrease their potential until the potential on both plates are even. So

[tex] \frac{Q_1}{C_1 } = \frac {Q_2}{C_2} [/tex]

Don't have Q1 or Q2 though
So ...

The first thing is to determine Q1 and Q2 , the charge on each capacitor prior to the switches being closed.

ehild said:
That is wrong. Q=CV and not C/V.

ehild

Woops, meant to write the opposite. I actually did that method last night and just tried to redo it quick to understand why it was wrong. Fixed it but my answer becomes 750[itex]\mu[/itex]C which is still wrong.

Am I wrong or is the answer package wrong you think? I don't think it's possible that Q2 isn't 750 micro coulombs. Answer package says q1 is 500 and q2 250 and that would be impossible if charge is conserved. Either that or my Qeq is wrong which I don't think it is.

Initially you have 1500 μC on C1 and 750 μC on C2. The capacitors are connected, positive plate to the negative one. The charge can migrate between the connected plates, and 1500 μC - 750 μC = 750 μC - that is the charge of the resultant equivalent capacitor; and Ceq=9μF.
From these data you get the voltage, which is equal to the common voltage across the individual capacitors. You get the new charges on both capacitors from the common voltage and the capacitance. ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Initially you have 1500 μC on C1 and 750 μC on C2. The capacitors are connected, positive plate to the negative one. The charge can migrate between the connected plates, and 1500 μC - 750 μC = 750 μC - that is the charge of the resultant equivalent capacitor; and Ceq=9μF.
From these data you get the voltage, which is equal to the common voltage across the individual capacitors. You get the new charges on both capacitors from the common voltage and the capacitance.

ehild

OOOOOOOH. Because they are connected from positive to negative, the resultant net charge is no longer 750+1500 it's 1500-750 because the charge migrates. But why is it 1500-750 and not 750-1500? Could have just as easily been negative no? Is it just because we had a positive voltage that we know the charge is positive?

Regtic said:
OOOOOOOH. Because they are connected from positive to negative, the resultant net charge is no longer 750+1500 it's 1500-750 because the charge migrates. But why is it 1500-750 and not 750-1500? Could have just as easily been negative no? Is it just because we had a positive voltage that we know the charge is positive?
Of course it's true, that the charge can be negative.

Capacitors in general have some charge, q, on one plate and the opposite, namely -q, on the other.

With the figure you show in the OP, what sign is the charge on the upper plates after the switches are closed?

SammyS said:
Of course it's true, that the charge can be negative.

Capacitors in general have some charge, q, on one plate and the opposite, namely -q, on the other.

With the figure you show in the OP, what sign is the charge on the upper plates after the switches are closed?

i's still going to be positive on the left and negative on the right assuming the resultant net charge is positive.

Regtic said:
i's still going to be positive on the left and negative on the right assuming the resultant net charge is positive.
Once they're connected, they share the same voltage, with the same polarity.

Opposite charges do attract and being connected with a conductor will allow that to happen to the max.

SammyS said:
Once they're connected, they share the same voltage, with the same polarity.

Opposite charges do attract and being connected with a conductor will allow that to happen to the max.

I don't get it, how do you know that the charge is positive?

Regtic said:
Initially, what's the charge on the upper plate of C1. (The figure shows it to be positive.)

Initially, what's the charge on the upper plate of C2. (The figure shows it to be negative.)

Which will be more than enough to neutralize the other?

SammyS said:
Initially, what's the charge on the upper plate of C1. (The figure shows it to be positive.)

Initially, what's the charge on the upper plate of C2. (The figure shows it to be negative.)

Which will be more than enough to neutralize the other?

Hmmm so if C2 had a higher charge or if the current went in the other direction because the plates swapped orientations, the charge would be negative?

Hmmm so if C2 had a higher charge or if the current went in the other direction because the plates swapped orientations, the charge would be negative?
Please reread post #7 in light of what you have learned.

Before they are connected, the charge on Capacitor 1 will be higher than the charge on Capacitor 2 because C1>C2 but the voltages are the same.

If C2>C1 then the opposite situation would prevail.
"swapped orientations" is the same as looking at the other side of the capacitors.

Note:
The net charge on each side stays the same.
It does not matter which plate is positive and which negative to answer the question.

Likes 1 person
Regtic said:

Two plates are connected. Charge can migrate to one to the other, but nowhere else. The sum of the charges on C1 and C2 must be constant. Q1=1500 μC, Q2=-750 μC, so the whole charge on the connected upper plates is Q=750 μC. At the same time, there is -1500 + 750 = -750 μC charge on the bottom plates.

That charge is shared between the capacitors, the charge of C1 becomes q1 and the charge of C2 becomes q2, positive on the upper plates and negative, -q1 and -q2 on the bottom plates. You have found the common voltage already: U=Q/Ceq=(750/9 )= 83.33 V.
Using q=UC, find the individual charges.

ehild

Likes 1 person
I was going at this from a somewhat different point of view than are ehild or Simon, so just follow them.

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Two plates are connected. Charge can migrate to one to the other, but nowhere else. The sum of the charges on C1 and C2 must be constant. Q1=1500 μC, Q2=-750 μC, so the whole charge on the connected upper plates is Q=750 μC. At the same time, there is -1500 + 750 = -750 μC charge on the bottom plates.

That charge is shared between the capacitors, the charge of C1 becomes q1 and the charge of C2 becomes q2, positive on the upper plates and negative, -q1 and -q2 on the bottom plates. You have found the common voltage already: U=Q/Ceq=(750/9 )= 83.33 V.
Using q=UC, find the individual charges.

ehild

Oh that makes a lot of sense. I sometimes become so dependent on the equations and specific phenomena that I have studied during the course that some of the most intuitive and simple problems suddenly become really complicated to me because they aren't described by a formula or aren't something I've seen before. I had my exam today and I did really well. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it. I hope I can help others on here as you have helped me :)

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a passive electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electrical charge on its plates when a voltage is applied. This creates an electric field between the plates, causing them to attract or repel each other. The amount of charge a capacitor can hold, known as its capacitance, is determined by the size and distance between the plates.

What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has different properties and is used for different applications. Ceramic capacitors are small and inexpensive, electrolytic capacitors have high capacitance but are polarized, film capacitors have good stability and low leakage, and variable capacitors have adjustable capacitance.

How do I calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula C=Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage. The capacitance is also affected by the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used.

What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

Capacitors have a variety of uses in electronic circuits. They can be used to filter out unwanted signals, store energy, and regulate voltage. They are also commonly used in timing circuits and as coupling and decoupling capacitors to prevent interference between different parts of a circuit.