1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor in circuit

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    V = 115 V, R = 30 , and the switch has been closed for a very long time.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought it would be a good idea to use the Loop Laws I get the following equations (If Loop 1 is the larger loop with the battery, and Loop 2 is the smaller one):

L1: 115-60I1-30I3=0
    L2: 30I3-10I2-Q/2.0microF=0

Where I1 is the current through the battery and 60 ohm resistor; I2 is the current through the 10 ohm resistor and capacitor; I3 is the current through the middle resistor.

However, with this there are 3 equations and 4 variables, so something is wrong, or I'm approaching it wrong. Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

First of all you should note that if the switch has been closed for an infinite period of time and you're using a DC source, then the current flowing through the right loop containing the 10 ohm resistor and the capacitor is 0A. You need to solve it for the case where t<0 and t>0 separately.
  4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    Sorry, I forgot one part of the problem. I'm supposed to solve for what the charge on the capacitor is after the switch has been closed for a very long time...and then solve for how much time it takes for the capacitor to lose 10% of it's charge when the switch is opened.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?