1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor & Inductor ?

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    Can a capacitor discharge itself through an ideal inductor ? If yes state the reason , if No how will the charge on the capacitor will behave ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That sounds like homework - what do you think the answer is?

4. Mar 19, 2008 #3
    So the capacitor equation is:

[tex]C \frac{du(t)}{dt} = i(t)[/tex]

where u - voltage, i - current, C capacitance

And for inductor:

[tex]L \frac{di(t)}{dt} = u(t)[/tex]

L - inductance

The energy transfered from capacitor to the circuit is given by:

[tex]W_C = - \int_{t_1}^{t_2} u(t)i(t)dt = C \int_{t_2}^{t_1} u(t)du = \left.\frac{1}{2} C u^2(t)\right|^{t_1}_{t_2} = \frac{1}{2} Cu^2(t_1) - \frac{1}{2} Cu^2(t_2)[/tex]

The energy transfered to inductor is given by (similarly):

[tex]W_L = \frac{1}{2} Li^2(t_2) - \frac{1}{2} Li^2(t_1)[/tex]

Obviously the energy transfered from capacitor is accumulated in inductor so:

[tex] W_C = W_L [/tex]

If we assume that inductor is discharged in the instant [tex]t_1[/tex] then [tex]i(t_1) = 0[/tex], and capacitor is charged to the volgate [tex]v(t_1) = V[/tex]. Assume that the capacitor is discharged in in [tex]t_2[/tex] instant. From the energy ballance we get the current:

[tex]i(t_2) = \sqrt{\frac{C}{L}} V[/tex]

Which is obviously different than 0. From this observation you get the answer to your question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?