1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor , leyden jar ?

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    A couple of questions about the leyden jar . When i first charge up the leyden charge with a potential difference and then i dissemble the jar and i touch the metal parts of the jar to discharge them , Am i ionizing the copper that the jar is made of ,
    And question #2 lets say I discharge both the metal parts of the jar and then I re-assemble the jar , and then i touch the inside metal part to the outside and i still get a spark .
    Is the reason for this , because we did not discharge the glass so there is an induced charge on the glass , and then when we reassemble it , it cause charge separation on the copper parts of the jar .

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2010 #2
    Ionisation is the removal or addition of an electron from/to a neutral atom.
    Your copper is not neutral, it has extra charges attached to it. So in removing those charges you are not 'ionising' the copper - simply 'discharging' it.

And yes, the charge is in the glass, not just on it, but inside it. even if you try to discharge it by wiping, it will remain charged deep inside.

4. Jul 21, 2010 #3
    but when we discharge it , we are physically removing free electrons from the material
    and when we touch it the electrons flow from the copper through our body to the ground .
    Thanks for your response by the way.

5. Jul 21, 2010 #4
    Free electrons, not bound ones. You are not turning the copper atoms into ions.

6. Jul 21, 2010 #5
    ok , but the electrons came from the material , and are now transferred to the earth .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook