Is the Leyden Jar still charged even after discharging the metal parts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ionization and charge separation in a Leyden jar. It is clarified that when discharging the jar, the excess charge on the copper is simply being removed, not ionizing the metal. The charge is actually stored in the glass, and even wiping the surface will not fully discharge it. When touching the jar, the electrons flow from the copper through the body to the ground.
cragar
A couple of questions about the leyden jar . When i first charge up the leyden charge with a potential difference and then i dissemble the jar and i touch the metal parts of the jar to discharge them , Am i ionizing the copper that the jar is made of ,
And question #2 let's say I discharge both the metal parts of the jar and then I re-assemble the jar , and then i touch the inside metal part to the outside and i still get a spark .
Is the reason for this , because we did not discharge the glass so there is an induced charge on the glass , and then when we reassemble it , it cause charge separation on the copper parts of the jar .

Physics news on Phys.org
Ionisation is the removal or addition of an electron from/to a neutral atom.
Your copper is not neutral, it has extra charges attached to it. So in removing those charges you are not 'ionising' the copper - simply 'discharging' it.

And yes, the charge is in the glass, not just on it, but inside it. even if you try to discharge it by wiping, it will remain charged deep inside.

but when we discharge it , we are physically removing free electrons from the material
and when we touch it the electrons flow from the copper through our body to the ground .
Thanks for your response by the way.

Free electrons, not bound ones. You are not turning the copper atoms into ions.

ok , but the electrons came from the material , and are now transferred to the Earth .

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, which is also known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing charge on its two plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate accumulates a positive charge while the other accumulates a negative charge. The insulating material between the plates prevents the charges from flowing through, thus storing the electrical energy.

3. What is a Leyden jar?

A Leyden jar is an early type of capacitor that was invented in the 18th century. It consists of a glass jar or bottle lined with metal foil, with a conductive rod or wire running through the lid and making contact with the foil. It was used to store static electricity.

4. What are the applications of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronics, including filtering and smoothing power supplies, timing circuits, and storing data in computer memory. They are also used in audio equipment, motors, and various other electronic devices.

5. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

The right capacitor for a circuit depends on factors such as voltage rating, capacitance, and type of dielectric. It is important to consider the specifications of your circuit and consult a capacitor selection guide or an expert to choose the most suitable capacitor for your application.