Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Capacitor Network (Please help )

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    Capacitor Network (Please help!!!)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the circuit below, consisting of a battery and several capacitors, some quantities are known and some are not. The capacitors were completely uncharged before the battery was attached and we are considering the static situation.

Circuit: http://img690.imageshack.us/i/showmepl.gif/
    2nq5sw9.gif

Q1= 8.5 × 10^-6 C
    C1= 7.6 × 10^-6 F
    C2= 2 × 10^-6 F
    Energy stored on C2 is W2= 4.2 × 10^ -6 J

What is the charge Q3 on capacitor C3 ?

3. The attempt at a solution

I've figured out that V1 = 1.12, V2 and V3 = 2.05...but I have no idea how to find Q3 because we don't know C3

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: Capacitor Network (Please help!!!)

In the series combination, Charges are the same in all the capacitors.So the charge on C1 is the same as the charge on the parallel combination of C2 and C3. Hence

Q2 = C1V2 and Q2 + Q3 = Q1.

Now find Q3.

4. Sep 7, 2010 #3

Thank you man!!

I forgot to add the parallel C2 and C3 and turn it into one circuit, then assume that they are in series with C1.....I really appreciate the help

5. Oct 10, 2010 #4

How to know whether capacitors are in series or parallel in a circuit which contain many capacitors which are connected in tricky ways. Any thumb rule is there?

6. Oct 10, 2010 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Consider two plates 1 and 2 from C1 and plates 3 and 4 form C2.
    In series combination, 2 and 3 plates are connected by a wire and there is no branching in the wire. In parallel combination, 1 and 3 plates and 2 and 4 plates are connected. Then this combination is connected to other source.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook