1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor PE

1. Jan 23, 2009 #1
    The following 3 step process refers to a simple RC circuit with a battery and an initially open switch:

1- the switch is closed, allowing the capacitor to charge;
    2- after the capacitor has charged, a slab of dielectric material is inserted between the plates of the capacitor and time passes;
    3- the switch is opened, and the dielectric removed.

PE(capacitor)=1/2 CV^2

I said that: delta(PE)1>0; delta(PE)2>0; delta(PE)3<0

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

When you are putting the dielectric in the capacitor, you are effectively increasing the capacitance by the relationship that C/Co = ε the dielectric constant for the material, where ε > εo

As to your answers, I don't really know what the question is.

I would point out in step 3 that since the charge remains the same, but the capacitance is now influenced by εo instead of the higher ε of the removed dielectric, that the voltage will drop across the cap.
  4. Jan 23, 2009 #3
    My question is whether or not the change in PE of the capacitor would reflect my "answer:" delta(PE)1>0; delta(PE)2>0; delta(PE)3<0 (the numerals are respective of the steps)
  5. Jan 23, 2009 #4

Homework Helper

I guess I don't really understand your notation.

I just described what happens.
  6. Jan 23, 2009 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:confused: You decrease ε so you increase V according to pion's equation and physical intuition - you would need a higher voltage to establish that charge without the dielectric!?
  7. Jan 23, 2009 #6
    yeah, that is what my answer shows right? a drop in V means a drop in PE. so PE final - PE initial < 0 ???
  8. Jan 23, 2009 #7

Homework Helper

That's correct. I misstated it in typing it.

Thanks for catching that.
  9. Jan 23, 2009 #8
    soooooo, i am correct?
  10. Jan 23, 2009 #9

Homework Helper

No. I misstated my original description.

The equations were right. My English description was wrong.
  11. Jan 23, 2009 #10
    ay.... i don't understand what happens then. this is my logic:

1- capacitor is charging (PE final is greater than PE initial therefore deltaPE>0)
    2- capacitor has dielectric inserted (PE final is greater than PE initial because dielectric allows more capacitance therefore deltaPE>0)
    3- capacitor no longer charging and dielectric is removed (PE final is less that PE initial because capacitor is now able to discharge therefore deltaPE<0)
  12. Jan 24, 2009 #11

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

3 does not correspond to 3 of your first post. Switch stays open, the charge has to stay there ideally. Yes, if the switch is then closed the capacitor will largely discharge.
  13. Jan 24, 2009 #12
    yes 3 is the same on both posts:

3 (first post): the switch is opened, and the dielectric removed.
    3 (last post): capacitor no longer charging [the switch is opened] and dielectric is removed

I am restating my logic. Is this correct? Anyone!

delta=final-initial; numerals correspond to the steps.

delta(PE)1>0; delta(PE)2>0; delta(PE)3<0
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?