Capacitor problem lots of help

• Thread starter supermenscher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, a capacitor is an electronic component that stores and releases electrical energy. A faulty capacitor may show physical signs of damage or cause electrical issues. The solution to a capacitor problem varies depending on the issue. It is possible to fix a capacitor problem yourself, but it is recommended to seek professional help if you are not experienced with electronics. Choosing the right capacitor for a circuit requires considering factors such as capacitance value, voltage rating, and dielectric type. It is important to consult a datasheet or seek expert advice for the best selection.
supermenscher
A 0.40E-6F capacitor and a 0.70E-6F capacitor are connected in parallel to a 12V battery. Calculate the potential difference and charge across each capacitor. I tried c1v1=c2v2 but that answer wasn't right. Can someone please help me...I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Capacitors connected in line have the same charge,
but capacitors connected in parallel have the same
potential difference and the charge is calculated with c.
Good Luck.

First, let's calculate the total capacitance when two capacitors are connected in parallel. The formula for calculating capacitance in parallel is C = C1 + C2, where C1 and C2 are the individual capacitances. So, in this case, the total capacitance would be:

C = 0.40E-6F + 0.70E-6F = 1.10E-6F

Next, we can use the formula Q = CV to calculate the charge on each capacitor. Q represents the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the potential difference. Since the capacitors are connected in parallel, they will have the same potential difference (12V) across them, but the charge will be split between them.

For the 0.40E-6F capacitor:

Q1 = (1.10E-6F)(12V) = 0.48E-5C

For the 0.70E-6F capacitor:

Q2 = (1.10E-6F)(12V) = 0.84E-5C

So, the potential difference across each capacitor is 12V, but the charge on each capacitor is different. I'm not sure why your calculation using the equation C1V1 = C2V2 didn't work, but it is possible that you may have made a mistake in your calculations or used the wrong values for the capacitance. I hope this helps and feel free to ask for clarification if needed.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores and releases electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How do I know if a capacitor is faulty?

A faulty capacitor may have physical signs of damage, such as bulging or leaking. It may also cause electrical issues, such as interrupting the flow of current or causing a device to malfunction.

3. How do I solve a capacitor problem?

The solution to a capacitor problem depends on the specific issue. It could involve replacing a faulty capacitor, adjusting the capacitance or voltage rating, or troubleshooting other components in the circuit.

4. Can I fix a capacitor problem myself?

It is possible to fix a capacitor problem yourself if you have the necessary knowledge and tools. However, if you are not experienced with electronics, it is best to seek professional help to avoid causing further damage.

5. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

The right capacitor for a circuit depends on factors such as the required capacitance value, voltage rating, and type of dielectric. It is important to consult a datasheet or seek expert advice to ensure the correct capacitor is chosen for the circuit.