Answer Voltage of Disconnected Capacitor w/ Paraffin

• Thread starter jena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the voltage between the plates of an uncharged capacitor connected to a 24.0-V battery will decrease when a slab of paraffin is inserted between the plates due to the dielectric effect. The capacitance will increase, while the voltage will decrease in proportion to the dielectric constant of the paraffin. The distance between the plates does not affect this change in voltage.
jena
Hi,

Question:

An uncharged capacitor is connected to a 24.0-V battery until it is fully charged, after which it is disconnected from the battery. A slab of paraffin is then inserted between the plates. what will now be the voltage between the plates?

I know that as long as the capacitor stays connect the battery, the voltage stays constant and equal to the battery, since its disconnected the charge will have nowhere to go. I also know from my reading that the capacitance increases because of the dielectric(paraffin), but the voltage decrease because of it.

After this I'm lost. :confused: Do I need the dielectric strength of the paraffin to help in this problem.

Thank You :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
jena said:
Hi,

Question:

An uncharged capacitor is connected to a 24.0-V battery until it is fully charged, after which it is disconnected from the battery. A slab of paraffin is then inserted between the plates. what will now be the voltage between the plates?

I know that as long as the capacitor stays connect the battery, the voltage stays constant and equal to the battery, since its disconnected the charge will have nowhere to go. I also know from my reading that the capacitance increases because of the dielectric(paraffin), but the voltage decrease because of it.

After this I'm lost. :confused: Do I need the dielectric strength of the paraffin to help in this problem.

Thank You :smile:

it's been awhile since I've done something like this, but it seems like you'll have to know the width of the insulator sheet. what happens to the molecules in the insulator when they're put in between the plates. draw it out and draw the charge configurations. like i said i could be wrong, but i think this problem only depends on the geometry of the sheet.

Think of it this way: There are field lines that run from the positive plate to the negative plate of the capacitor. Because the paraffin is an insulator, the electrons on the atoms will not so easily move off the atoms and create a current. The result is that the atoms of the paraffin start to separate slightly with the postive nucleous pulling toward the negative plate and the electron cloud pulling toward the positive plate. This separation of the atoms creates an E-field of their own which will be in the opposite direction of the plates, effectively cancelling out some of it. You need to find the equation that gives you the electric field in the presence of a dielectric. Then there is a specific formula the relates the electric field between the plates with the potential difference.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thank you for the help of the previous two responses, but I'm still stuck. I don't have any dimension of the paraffin slab, all that I have is the dielectric strength as well as its constant. For this type of problem could I find the capacitance?? I'm not sure

Thank You

Hi,

I found out how to get the answer

V= V(o)/k

where

V(o)=the orginal voltage

and

k= dielectric constant of the paraffin

Thank You

You know why the distance isn't needed?
Becuase the original Voltage was E_o*d.
The dielectric reduces E_o -> E_o /k ,
so V_o -> V_o /k since d is the same.

1) What is the purpose of using paraffin in a disconnected capacitor?

Paraffin is commonly used in disconnected capacitors as a dielectric material. It helps to increase the capacitance of the capacitor and provides insulation between the plates, allowing for a higher voltage to be stored.

2) How does the answer voltage of a disconnected capacitor with paraffin differ from one without paraffin?

The presence of paraffin in a disconnected capacitor increases the capacitance, resulting in a higher voltage being stored. Without paraffin, the capacitance would be lower, leading to a lower voltage being stored.

3) Can the answer voltage of a disconnected capacitor with paraffin change over time?

Yes, the answer voltage of a disconnected capacitor with paraffin can change over time due to various factors such as temperature, humidity, and aging of the materials. It is important to consider these factors when designing and using capacitors.

4) How does the thickness of the paraffin layer affect the answer voltage of a disconnected capacitor?

The thickness of the paraffin layer can affect the answer voltage of a disconnected capacitor as it plays a role in determining the overall capacitance. A thicker layer of paraffin can increase the capacitance, resulting in a higher answer voltage.

5) Are there any safety concerns associated with using paraffin in disconnected capacitors?

While paraffin is commonly used as a dielectric material in disconnected capacitors, it is important to handle it with care as it can be flammable. Proper safety measures should be taken when using and storing capacitors with paraffin to prevent any potential hazards.