1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor Question

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circuit is connected to charge a capacitor. The switch in the circuit is initially open, then closed at t = 0.

As t --> infinity, what is the voltage across the capacitor?

When does it reach 60 % of this limiting voltage?

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure - maybe q = qf (1-e-t/RC)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think as t --> infinity, the voltage across the capacitor will be equal to the emf of the battery.

But I don't know what limiting voltage is, or how you find it. The only equation I could find involving time is the one above, but I'm not sure if or how that applies to this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Correct. When t ⇒ ∞ you have 1 - 1/e = 1 - 0 = 1*Qo

When the charge on the capacitor approaches fully charged there's no charge flowing right? (dQ/dt ⇒ 0)

So what does that mean for the voltage drop across the resistor R of the RC? Since V of the emf is VR + VC then ...

As to the time that needs to be used to determine the 60% level. (The "When" part of the second question.)

4. Mar 15, 2009 #3
    So there's no charge flowing because dQ isn't changing (it can't get any bigger than Qo), is that correct?

If there's no current flowing, then voltage is zero too because V = IR?

I'm confused about the statement Vr + Vc =/

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4
    I think I might just have figured it out. If I use the formula

Q = CV, where Q is the charge on the capacitor, C is capacitance and V is voltage.

60 % of the voltage occurs when there is 60 % of the Qo, since C is a constant for any capacitor.

Then I would use the formula 0.60q = q(1-e-t/RC) and solve for t.

Hm... except I just realized I don't know the values of R or C.

6. Mar 15, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The voltage across your emf is the sum of the voltages across the R and the C. They are in series right? So that makes a Voltage loop that must be satisfied. If the Voltage of the R ⇒ 0 then that means that the Voltage of the Capacitor must be the emf Voltage.

7. Mar 15, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yes that's correct.

You can give your answer in terms of RC. At what value of RC does the equation yield 60% voltage is what they are asking.

8. Mar 15, 2009 #7
    Oh okay, that makes sense.

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook